3540 vs 4530

/ 3540 vs 4530
Well, I didn't buy the 3540. I got a good deal on the 3550! It gives me about 10 more PTO HP and puts the tractor weight up near 5,000 lbs. With the tires loaded and the FEL, it will probably weigh around 7,000 lbs. I decided on R4's. Everybody I talked to said that if I've been feeding hay with a little R1 shod 2wd tractor all these years and never got stuck in the mud, I should do fine with R4's on a 4wd. I'll find out soon! The main reason I went with the more expensive 3550 instead of the 2555 or 4530, which have better FEL and lift specs is because they just didn't work well ergonomically for me. I don't see myself overloading the 3090 lb lift capacity and I doubt I'll hit the 2700 FEL capacity, especially considering I keep a roof over my hay. The 3540 and 3550 gave me the best cockpit layout and seating position of the bunch. I looked at other manufacturers but to get similar specs, I would have had to pay more. The Massey Ferguson 2706E's paint was really pretty, but that color belongs on a Ducati. :laughing: I think I'm going to be happy with my choice assuming it doesn't have any mechanical issues.

/ 3540 vs 4530 #12  
Great job! The 3550 is a great tractor, the cream of the crop as far as 50hp CUT's go. Did you go with the PST?

/ 3540 vs 4530
Great job! The 3550 is a great tractor, the cream of the crop as far as 50hp CUT's go. Did you go with the PST?
Yes, the PST.

/ 3540 vs 4530 #14  
Excellent choice! You will LOVE it!

/ 3540 vs 4530
The tractor was delivered Saturday morning in the rain. I immediately swapped over to the spear, took it to the barn, and shoved it in a hay bale. I tilted it back and lifted it at idle. I was hollering! No more fighting with a worn out, antique, under weight tractor with a 3 pt hitch rated less than the hay bales!!! :cool2:

I crossed a decent size muddy ditch to experiment with the R4 tires and 4wd and used the bucket to smooth out a truck load of dirt I had dumped a couple months ago. If it hadn't been raining, I would have probably stayed on it all day. Needless to say, I'm extremely happy about its performance so far.

/ 3540 vs 4530 #16  
Congrats! Sounds like you made the right choice for your needs. I'm sure you will be more than thrilled with her performance. I know I am!!!

/ 3540 vs 4530 #17  
Subscribed.

Last edited:
   / 3540 vs 4530
Quick update on the new 3550. I've put out several bales with it and continue to enjoy its capability to lift the big round bales to full height with ease. I can move the hay rings with the spear and not have to slog around in the muck and move them by hand anymore. I can maneuver around amongst the cattle in mid-range 3rd gear and go up moderate slopes with the bale on the spear and the 6ft cutter on the back, literally at idle. The medium duty Kodiak made bush hog is quiet compared to the ~50 year old 5 footer on the old 8N. Haven't run it enough to even fool with setting up the slipper clutch. Recent weather has turned the feed lot into a muddy mess, but I haven't needed 4wd with the R4 tires yet.

/ 3540 vs 4530 #19  
I recently changed my mind from the 2555 to the 3550 based on the manufacturer of the tractor (TYM vs. Mahindra) and it's nice to see the positive reviews of the 3550.