3720 v. 4120 or 4320

/ 3720 v. 4120 or 4320 #11  
Unless you are already in low range I would try dropping the hydro tranny down one range, and see if that improves response. There is no reason the tractor should be underpowered climbing hills. I could see it if you were pulling a load, but not with a mower attached.

/ 3720 v. 4120 or 4320
Fellow posters,
Thanks for all the good responses!! I think DMP437 hit the nail on the head when he recommended an on site demo. I am not sure that the dealer will do this, but I know them well enough to ask. Keep the suggestions coming. I have discussed my mild disappointment with the engine power on my 4310 in the past. I hope that I am not revisiting "old news". I am extremely pleased with the tractor itself, but I only hope for a bit more power. In retrospect, I should have noted with the tractor weight, 32 horsepower, even with a three range tranny, would fall short. As mentioned, on flat ground the tractor does fine, but the hills tell the tale. Most of my work is done in "b" range with my loadmatch on. If I put the tractor in "a" range, it does fine, but is just slow. What I want is more "b" range performance. The other nice thing is that with more horsepower, one can add more weight, and make a smaller tractor behave as if its larger. I would hesitate to add too much weight or ballast to my current machine, as it would slow it down even further. My theory is that with a tractor like the 3720, there is so much more power, that one can be more aggressive with ballasting. Also, there is enough mid range torque with the turbo to allow for more even speed and less bogging in "b" range. This means to me more jobs that currently require "a" range could be done in the higher range. In reference to Mike's excellent comment about tractor time, I do not want to spend less of it, I just want to use my tractor more places!!! In short, this has all been a great help, keep the thoughts coming. I believe I will try the 3720, especially since I now feel more comfortable about its heritage. Now, the question of the cost difference.....

John M

/ 3720 v. 4120 or 4320 #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am not sure that the dealer will do this, )</font>

The thinking behind the suggestion was this; he's bringing a tractor out (3720) and he's taking a tractor back (3720 or your 4310). Chances are he's taking the 4310 (with low hours) back so he wins, you get a new tractor, you win.
So, will the tires be loaded on the 3720? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif