Snow Attachments 3PT Snow blowers , Which One?

/ 3PT Snow blowers , Which One? #1  

NY_Yankees_Fan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
Hi Folks,

I am looking for a 3 pt snow blower for next year, all units I am looking at are 54 inch and I will be putting it on a Kubota BX2200. So far I have come up with the following: JRW- $1100, Farm King $1200, and Pronovost Puma 54- $1130. I have very little info on the JRW, the other two units have web sites which gives some good info. I would like to know if you have any of these units and IF you had to do it again would by but the same unit? Which one is the best unit for my 250 foot long blacktop driveway? Only the Puma had skid shoes, do you think the other units will scratch the driveway? If you know of any units that are better let me know, also anyone in NY, CT, VT, NH that know of units that may be cheaper, end of season sale, at your local dealer, let me know. Twlc@hotmail.com

Thanks

Tom

/ 3PT Snow blowers , Which One? #2  
I have the Puma 54 on my B7500. Unfortunately, with the winter we just had, I don't have much in the way of experience. What I don't like is the manual chute mechanism. It is a steel cable wrapped around the base of the chute which is connected to the "crank" shaft - one end goes over the shaft and the opposite end of the cable goes under the shaft. I would have much preferred to have a gear driven system.
Also, the crank handle is located almost right in the center (almost right over the driveline). It seems to me that locating it further off to the side would be more convenient. Not to mention that if l lift it all the way up, the handle hits my slow moving vehicle sign.

/ 3PT Snow blowers , Which One? #3  
I'm also in th emarket for a 3 pt hitch snow blower for my TC 33D. My dealer has a Lorenz Mfg. Co. (LMC) Model 530 -- 66" cutting width. That I can get an end of season deal on (not much snow here this past winter).

Does anyone know anything about this brand (good or bad)? One interesting feature is that they use paddle-type augers, rather than the "corkscrew" type. Dealer claims that this design of augur breaks up the ice and hard snow better. Any comments?

John Mc

/ 3PT Snow blowers , Which One? #4  
Yes, I have a Lorenz....same model you mention. Got it this last January and since virtually all our snow came in Feb and Mar it got quite a bit of work. Works great in my opinion....of course my other snowblower experience is the walk-behind kind, so I don't have anything to judge against. It does do a good job with ice and hardpack.....really chopped up old rows left from backblading. Least depth of snow I attacked was about 4", and deepest about 18". Check the 'Montana Deere' thread in Photos for my machine.

/ 3PT Snow blowers , Which One? #5  
I got an Allied (I thnk its the same as the Farm King) 84" blower last year and use it on my Kioti DK45. I got the hydraulic shoot control, its still the cable wrapped around the shoot, but seems to work well. This blower also has skids. I use this blower to clear a 1/4 gravel driveway. Only had to use it a few times last winter, but worked well. The only problem I had was trying to clear about 2-3 inches of very wet snow. It kept clogging up, there was not enough volume to keep the snow moving. The blower had no problem with slush over 3" or any amount of dry snow.

/ 3PT Snow blowers , Which One? #6  
I bought a 60" Meteor 3pt blower last fall. After my research, I'd consider this a durable, econy inmlement. As pbenven states below, this also has what I would consider a cheesy chute rotation system, same cable attached to a crank. But, it does work fine (mine doesn't hit the back of the seat), I just plan on keeping it well lubed. My driveway is 350', 3/4" stones. I bought the skid shoes because of this, you may not need them on a paved driveway. If we have the same winter as last year, you might not need it at all.

On a side note, I'm having a hard time with your username, but if you've got a tractor, it can't be all that bad...

/ 3PT Snow blowers , Which One? #7  
Those prices all sound pretty good to me. I'd get skid shoes, even on pavement

/ 3PT Snow blowers , Which One? #8  
The JRW is a very nice unit,I did a side by side comparison with Woods,save a few bucks and go with JRW,the work great,try Jim @ Walts equipment VT.HIS # is at his site www.ackequip.com