4052M or 5055E

/ 4052M or 5055E #1  

CrashDodson

Tractor
None Yet
I have 6 acres of land. I have a 2 acre motocross track for my son and I to play on. I need to do quite a bit of box blade work and my wife is planting cut flowers.

I am looking at a 2016 5055E and a 2016 4052M. Both are within a few thousand of each other in price. The 5055e has the 512 loader and a 12 speed sync transmission. The 4052 is Hydro with a D170 loader. The 4052 is a 52HP and the 5055E is a 55HP. The 5055E has 5 more HP at the PTO, though I don't know I ever plan to run a PTO implement.

The loaders have pretty similar specs. the 5055E weighs about 2k lbs more than the 4052 and is a little wider. The bulk of my usage will be loader/dirt work so I am shying away from the sync transmission. I dont want to get the smaller tractor and be disappointed later but the hydro would be easier to use for dirt work. The 5055 comes with a canopy and the 4052 does not. Could always add one or wear a hat.

Recommendations/guidance?

/ 4052M or 5055E #2  
I have 6 acres of land. I have a 2 acre motocross track for my son and I to play on. I need to do quite a bit of box blade work and my wife is planting cut flowers.

If your property is in Florida, Georgia or Alabama consider my well maintained Kubota L3560 + 14 implements, listed as 'For Sale' on T-B-N. Ample for your applications on six acres.

Last edited:
   / 4052M or 5055E #3  
I have a larger 5 series tractor (5100M) and a 4052R. For what you describe, I would buy the 4 series. If you had a lot of heavy ground tillage projects or wanted a haying tractor, the 5 series would be my choice.

/ 4052M or 5055E #4  

I am looking at a 2016 5055E and a 2016 4052M. Both are within a few thousand of each other in price. The 5055e has the 512 loader and a 12 speed sync transmission. The 4052 is Hydro with a D170 loader. The 4052 is a 52HP and the 5055E is a 55HP. The 5055E has 5 more HP at the PTO, though I don't know I ever plan to run a PTO implement.

The loaders have pretty similar specs. the 5055E weighs about 2k lbs more than the 4052 and is a little wider. The bulk of my usage will be loader/dirt work so I am shying away from the sync transmission. I dont want to get the smaller tractor and be disappointed later but the hydro would be easier to use for dirt work. The 5055 comes with a canopy and the 4052 does not. Could always add one or wear a hat.

Recommendations/guidance?

You mentioned having six acres. Many times people with a lot that size get a subcompact (1 series) or at most a small-framed compact (2 series) sized machine as these tractors are small enough to be maneuverable in that size of space. You didn't say exactly what you will be trying to accomplish with your tractor, but with some things like box blades, you can get them in many different sizes to fit the tractor, so there really is no "minimum" tractor size for one. One of the units I mentioned above would run a 4' or maybe 5' box blade, straight blade, etc. behind it. Essentially all of the units that size have a hydrostatic transmission, you have to go to a 3 series or one of its competitors (e.g. Kubota L2501) or get an older used tractor to see gear transmissions. I used to have a tractor the size of a 3 series/Kubota L series on 12 acres, it was often a little bit on the big side for that property. I now have a 5075E (same size as the 5055E) on 80ish acres, I would absolutely not recommend it for six acres.

I wonder if some of your specs are a little off. The 512 loader is for 2WD 5Es. Front ag tires on a MFWD 5E would strike the boom cylinders of the 512 in turns, which is why they only approved the H240/520M loader for MFWD 5Es. Supposedly turf or industrial tires clear the cylinders, and thus technically work, but it would be somebody putting a loader on an unapproved tractor. The only 12 speed transmission that is called a 12 speed transmission is the PowrReverser, which was not available on any 2WD 5E in 2016, they had the 9-speed SyncShuttle/TSS transmission. It technically would have 12 speeds if it had a creeper but it would be called a "9 speed with a creeper" rather than 12 speed. The 12 speed version of the SyncShuttle is only on the 5M and some foreign-market-only (particularly India) tractors.

I find that a regular gear transmission does just fine for loader and dirt work. I use my loader quite a bit and have had no issues or complaints with the transmission or clutch when using it. Same is true for running a box blade, straight blade, drag, tiller, plow, cultivator, etc.