4100 HST gear engagement

/ 4100 HST gear engagement #1  

rcambray

First I would like to thank those that replied to a jerking motion from 3ph when lowering, they were all helpful. It turned out to be both operator error and misadjusted hyd valve. Now for my next concern. Gear selector at times is very
difficult to get from the neutral position into either high or low range. Its like if you could move the tractor just a bit it would go in. Any suggestions from other 4100 hst owners greatly appreciated

/ 4100 HST gear engagement #2  
Well, I'm not a 4100 owner, but do use HST. When the shift lever doesn't shift easily into the range you want, and you can't let the tractor roll just the tiniest bit, just step on the HST pedal, with the clutch engaged, to turn the gears a little, then try again.

Bird

/ 4100 HST gear engagement #3  
I found out w/my HST when shifting into different ranges,shifting on flatter the ground easier.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ 4100 HST gear engagement #4  
Sometimes just moving the steering wheel is enough to move the rear axle ever so slightly so the gears mesh. I know it works on a 2wheel-drive John Deere 4430 but that's quite a bit longer/bigger tractor with very noticible camber to the front. I've even seen guys rock back 'n forth in the seat to wiggle the axels/gears.

RCH

/ 4100 HST gear engagement #5  
That happens to me to and all I do is mash down on the forward or reverse pedel a bit and then shift it in it works for me. PLOWER

/ 4100 HST gear engagement #6  
Couldn't have said it better myself. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Might want to hold the brake on though. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-30366-dfbsig.gif

/ 4100 HST gear engagement #7  
I have the same problem, a little forward or reverse works for me too.

/ 4100 HST gear engagement #8  
I don't think this behavior is limited to HSTs my PowerReverser does the same thing from time to time. Getting into/out of MFWD "sticks" as well. It seems like if I'm on somewhat level ground the tractor shifts. Or if I let the tractor roll a bit with the clutch in. Turning the wheels seems to help the MFWD.

Sounds like we all have the same behavior.....

Or is it Operator Error? :cool:

Later...
Dan McCarty

/ 4100 HST gear engagement #9  
I don't think it is operator error. This same thing happens when shifting ranges in a Jeep, Land Cruiser, Chevy Pickup, Ford Pickup.

The gears are meshed together. They just need to rock ever so slightly to un-mesh or otherwise release the gears.

You'll typically find this to be compounded if shifting ranges while you have 4wd engaged.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif