Mowing 4110 over heats mowing - thinking outside of box

/ 4110 over heats mowing - thinking outside of box #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
it's beem discussed how the 4110 gets a clogged radiator while mowing high grass. Of course mowing in rain works. I haven't looked at this yet, but a friend suggested that I might be able to turn the fan backwards and blow air from back to front, as I believe many of the big machines do. However, I don't know if that will work.

Today I was mowing and came into a section of very high grass and lots of seeds and powder from grass and weeds. In fact, my red tractor was turning yellow. So I thought, why don't I cut in reverse. Made one pass through and I thought I rediscovered the wheel. In about 20 min I had the deep stuff cut and didn't have to clear out the radiator.

Cheers...Coffeeman

/ 4110 over heats mowing - thinking outside of box #2  
coffeeman said:
it's beem discussed how the 4110 gets a clogged radiator while mowing high grass. Of course mowing in rain works. I haven't looked at this yet, but a friend suggested that I might be able to turn the fan backwards and blow air from back to front, as I believe many of the big machines do. However, I don't know if that will work.

Today I was mowing and came into a section of very high grass and lots of seeds and powder from grass and weeds. In fact, my red tractor was turning yellow. So I thought, why don't I cut in reverse. Made one pass through and I thought I rediscovered the wheel. In about 20 min I had the deep stuff cut and didn't have to clear out the radiator.

Cheers...Coffeeman
Why should you have to cut in reverse?Can,t mahindra find a fix for this problem?coobie

/ 4110 over heats mowing - thinking outside of box
coobie said:
Why should you have to cut in reverse?Can,t mahindra find a fix for this problem?coobie

Good point. My local dealer is out of business. Now my close dealer about 60 miles. On some 4110s, Mahindra mismatched front tires with back tires caused a terrific strain on the front axles when in 4 wheel drive. I don't think Mahindra even helped any of those folks, but I'm not sure. That being the case, I'd bet they wouldn't be interested in helping out with dust in my radiator. My tractor is a few yrs old. As I mentioned many seem to have had this problem with tractor that seems to run hot. The best way to cure problem is to keep radiator really clean. I have heard there is a mounting kit to move the battery from in front of the rad; thus giving more air flow. Cleaning out the rad is a pain if cutting a lot of high grass/weeds. The reason for my post is to mention to those who might find a little help with idea of cutting a small section of high weeds with a lot of seeds etc.; in reverse. Backing into the weeds helped me. It only took me 3 - 4 yr to think of it.

Cheers

/ 4110 over heats mowing - thinking outside of box #4  
I don't think reversing the airflow would help tremendously, you're still drawing the same dirty air thru from the same vicinity. I know when I cut high & dry I'm pretty much in a cloud of dust & chaff. Also, in order for the airflow to cover more surface area of the radiator I would think the shroud would have to be repositioned or even removed. If you just reversed the airflow with the factory setup by reversing the fan blades it would cause most of the air to go thru the radiator in the diameter of the fan/shroud opening - the center of the radiator. With the shroud on the back side it is drawing air across the whole surface of the radiator in front. I'm not sure but I guess that our radiators have a fin design that seems to clog easier than other makes. The battery retrofit might help some, mine is still original, but I doubt it will eliminate the problem. The battery being there only slows down airflow in that area and causes turbulence but it doesn't "block" airflow. It would definitely make it easier to clean the radiator - when I do my pressure washing a couple times a year I remove the battery so I can get a clean blast in there. In the meantime I just use my airhose as needed. I don't worry about mine until it starts creeping up over 3/4 on the gauge.

/ 4110 over heats mowing - thinking outside of box
skipmarcy said:
I don't think reversing the airflow would help tremendously, you're still drawing the same dirty air thru from the same vicinity. I know when I cut high & dry I'm pretty much in a cloud of dust & chaff. Also, in order for the airflow to cover more surface area of the radiator I would think the shroud would have to be repositioned or even removed. If you just reversed the airflow with the factory setup by reversing the fan blades it would cause most of the air to go thru the radiator in the diameter of the fan/shroud opening - the center of the radiator. With the shroud on the back side it is drawing air across the whole surface of the radiator in front. I'm not sure but I guess that our radiators have a fin design that seems to clog easier than other makes. The battery retrofit might help some, mine is still original, but I doubt it will eliminate the problem. The battery being there only slows down airflow in that area and causes turbulence but it doesn't "block" airflow. It would definitely make it easier to clean the radiator - when I do my pressure washing a couple times a year I remove the battery so I can get a clean blast in there. In the meantime I just use my airhose as needed. I don't worry about mine until it starts creeping up over 3/4 on the gauge.

That seems to be the same thing I do. Maybe a little higher temp on hot days. (shouldn't do that though)

For the record; I like the 4110. Lots of power and handles nice. The only thing that might be better is my old 3 point Farmall. However, my Super C is only driven to church on Sundays. No one has ever sat in the back seat.

Cheers...Coffeeman

/ 4110 over heats mowing - thinking outside of box #6  
If you have the older style battery mount that covers the bottom of the radiator, Mahindra has a low cost kit to drop the battery so the radiator is completely clear, that helped in my situation, I also put in water wetter.

The kit was around $100 shipped if I recall, sounds high, but I will say it was a perfect factory fit, and very heavy duty metal that should last

After it is cool I try to water flush the radiator after every cutting

Thanks