4120 axle seal leak

/ 4120 axle seal leak #1  

rowdyrabbit

I have a 4120 with a leaking seal in the front axle. It is between where the gear housing connects to the knuckle. I致e bought the parts from the dealer, but I知 wondering if anyone here has ever replaced one. Preferably, if someone with a service manual could tell me how they say to do it. I know it will be taking everything off in order, and then putting it all back on. My plan is to remove the whole gear housing and knuckle from the axle, so I can flip it over. I知 curious if there is a better way, though. I put a breaker bar with a 4 cheater pipe on the bolts holding the housing to the axle, and it wouldn稚 budge. It felt like I would most likely snap it at the socket before the bolt let loose.

If someone has experience with it, or knows a better way, please let me know.
Thanks

/ 4120 axle seal leak #2  
:welcome: to TBN
First advice would be to get the service tech manual.. as you can use it for other things that will pop up as well.

Then, look at the "similar threads" listed below, and use the "google search" window (upper right) to find other threads that have covered this fix. There have been several over the years.

Your location, as least to a country, is helpful to get a better feeling about where you are coming from..

Sounds like you have a good plan.
I'm just waiting for my axle leak to get worse before doing the same thing. In the meantime, I keep the fill plug a bit loose so when the lub oil heats up from use, it doesn't expand out through the seal. Makes a big difference. Some have rigged a vent for that fill plug.