418 power trac

/ 418 power trac #1  

bryce

Bronze Member
Tractor
none
I am looking at a 418 power-trac. Does anyone own one, or used one? $6K/$8K for a 425. I can repower when I have more money or need. Anyone have any comments? Bob

/ 418 power trac #2  
bryce:
I have a pt425. One major difference between the 418 and the 422 is the radiator and fan cooler for the hydralics. I do not know if it is fact for sure but I was told by a friend that hydralics become weak when hot.
PTRich

/ 418 power trac
PTRich How is your 425 doing? I am getting redy to buy a PT, but I cant decide what engine to go for. What do you use yours for, and are you overpowered or do you want more? The next question is do you need more power or is something else the limiting factor? Bob

/ 418 power trac #4  
Bryce,
I haven't been able use my tractor very much lately, the restaurant is very busy this time of the year. I have been using the bucket and mower some though. Both work extremly well. If I could change any thing I wanted, I would mount the lights under the cover and make them able to rotate. I would increase the weight of the machine, but I'm told you could raise problems with the hydralic motors. The lifting capacity is 900lbs but I have lifted far more than that, the hydralics never strain, if the machine was heavier you could lift even more. I would like more weight for increased pushing power (I like to use it like a small bulldozer/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif). When I first bought the machine I wished I could curl the bucket more but I quickly learned to waggle the machine.

Good Luck: PTRich

/ 418 power trac
PTRich. Are you running turf or traction tires? When you say
" I wish I could curl the bucket more, but learned to wag the machine", Are you digging, or something else? Have you tried chains for added traction? Bob

/ 418 power trac #6  
Bryce:
I use bar tires, they do not dig the lawn up because they are so wide and the way the machine turns. I have used small tractors for a number of years in the woods and the common practice when we got stuck was to curl the bucket and push yourself out of a hole or mud. When I refer to wagging the tractor you have to remember how the machine turns, when you turn the steering wheel it moves your tires to the side you are turning to. If you give the machine gas while you are doing this you can crawl out of anything, including holes that would tip over normal tractors. We had a lot more snow than normal this year and did consider chains. I will consider again after this year.

Good Luck: PTRich