Ballast 4320 Front End Weights & COG

/ 4320 Front End Weights & COG #1  

gbw

Bronze Member
Hi all:

I have a 4320 e-Hydro, love it. It came with a Howse 6' rotary cutter that is quite heavy, and if the front end is not weighted, steering is not as good as it should be. The tractor also came with 4 ea. 42# front end weights, 168# total, and with these the tractor handles fine. They hang off the front FEL bracket when the 400X FEL is not attached.

I often use the tractor for mowing, sometimes on side hills up to 20 degrees or so. I've about 40 acres here in the deep south. R4 tires.

My question is, if anyone knows, do these weights change the COG of the tractor, either higher or lower? Seems they might lower it but I'm not sure.

While I'm asking, does the 400X FEL tend to raise or lower the COG? Assume empty standard bucket carried as low as possible. What if sand is in bucket?

Thanks all again,

gbw

btw, the water pump replacement project went well and leak is gone.

/ 4320 Front End Weights & COG #2  
No idea on the weights. Wild guess on the loader is it will raise the COG. I am guessing more metal, (weight), above the COG, than below, for the loader?

/ 4320 Front End Weights & COG #3  
This has been my experience with a 4410. Similar tractor. I have run my tractor on steep enough slopes to lift the upper rear wheel off of the ground. Because the rotary mower on the three point hitch was lower than the center of gravity I didn't tip the tractor. In fact I lifted the three point hitch slightly to pull the rear tire down so that I had traction again.

I know this has nothing to do with your question. My point is that you have a long ways to go on a 20 degree slope before you tractor and you are in danger.

As to whether the front end loader or the weights have the lower center of gravity I don't know. What I do know is that at 20 degrees you are still in a very safe zone so which you use for front end weight doesn't really matter. As far as I'm concerned I would use the weights as the tractor is a lot less cumbersome with out the front end loader. Besides newer John Deere front end loaders are quick and easy to remove and replace.