4340 50 hr service...

/ 4340 50 hr service... #1  

WEJ

Bronze Member
Tractor
Montana 4340
Well I just finished changing the front differential oil in my 4340. The dealer said it was not part of the 50 hr. service and did not do it for me. WRONG!!! The oil I took out was FULL of shiny sparkles.... and a few larger ones too. I am so glad I did the change. AI think anyone not changing ALL of the fluids at the 50hr. mark are making a big mistake. Now I am still looking for some help on where and how to change the oil in the rear differentials, and the Transmission. I see drain plugs on the main hydraulic tank and on the transmission. Are the two connected or do you fill them one at a time? I can find no input on the transmission. I guess I could go see my dealer but after tellingl me what does not need done... well I do not have much faith in them.

I did not get much response from my other question... am I the only one here with a 4340 cab model?

Thanks
WEJ!

/ 4340 50 hr service... #2  
Thanks for the heads up to change all fluids.....I just bought a 4340 and only got 10 ish hrs on it ...ROPS type... The rear axles and Brakes are lubed through those White hex bolts .one /top is high limit and the lower lower limit ...
I have 'nt crawled underneath much yet other than to clean / & lightly Inpect for anything odd ..
What type air cleaner do you have ?? Mine is single cartrige...book said it should be duel ???
I'll take a harder look today at mine to see what I can figure out and I'll get back to you

Later

K9

/ 4340 50 hr service...
Hey K9

I have a single filter for the air too. I think they must have changed things since the manual was printed or maybe the larger tractors have the dual filters. I thought those large white nuts on the back was for the brake fluid. I was just not sure how to use them. There are two more large white nuts under the transmission on the bottom. plus the drain plug for the the main fluid tank. It would have been nice if there would have been some mention of them in the manual and why they have been marks so. I am still not sure what to do with the two on the transmission.

Thanks for the help. Once we get through all this the first time it will be no problem but a few more directions in the manual would have been nice.

WEJ!

/ 4340 50 hr service... #4  
i just got the service manual for my 4940C and it is the same manual for your 4340C I was hoping to find the answer to your question for you but although it is a good disassemby and assembly manual it does not include a lubrication section. The closest it comes is a schedule for maintenance which I think is a bit off in the frequencies. In case you are interested the number for that service manual is SMT1005A

/ 4340 50 hr service...
Thanks guys.

I have just finished changing ALL the fluids in the 4340c. It is really not that bad. Next time will be a snap since I know what is what. Here are some things I have learned. First you need a 1 1/16" socket for most of the fluid bolts. And it needs to have a really long handle because the bolts are REALLY tight. The two white bolts on each brake are used to fill for the brakes. Pour into the top one until it runs out the bottom one. Be sure not to lose any of the copper washers that are on all of the white bolts. Underneath There are two white bolts in the middle of the tractor. These have magnets attached to them. When I pulled mine out they looked like felt until I wiped them off and saw what they really were. Then in the back is the main drain plug again with magnets plus two more bolts, one on each side of the main pan. I took all of them out, and out call the rest of the fluid. Then tighten everything back up and refill from the check point at the back of the tractor.

Soooo... before you start.... Get the funnels you need, get a large 1 1/16 Socket, get several 5 gallon drain container to catch all of the old oil, a roll or two of paper towels and set aside a couple of hours.

Good luck!!!
WEJ