447 or 448 backhoe for 3120? and other questions

/ 447 or 448 backhoe for 3120? and other questions #1  

chatcher

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC35DA, JD X324
Hi everyone - another new member here.

I'm in the market for a new tractor. I've got an old Ford 601 I've been using to maintain 7 beautiful acres of rolling clay, springs, pond, woods, swamp, and mud in eastern Kentucky.

I'm leaning toward a JD 3000-Twenty series mid-chassis CUT, probably either a 3120 or 3320, with a 300CX loader and 4-in-1 bucket. I have used the configurator (more than a few times) to get a rough idea of what's available and retail pricing. I have not gotten a dealer quote on anything yet. My nearest JD dealer is only about a mile away, so of course it would be nice if they turn out to be easy to deal with. I'm hoping. Anyway, I have a few questions I'm sure someone here can help me with.

First, for a 3120 or 3320 with 300CX, what would be the reasons for choosing a 448 vs. a 447 backhoe? It looks to me like the two are nearly the same design but the 448 is a little bit bigger (8' 9" digging depth vs. 7' 8" for 447), and slightly more expensive ($7714 vs. $6959, with brackets for 3120-3720). Based on what I've read, I would choose the 448, but what I don't know is if it would be as good a match for that size tractor as the 447. Any advice here?

Secondly, the choice between the 3120 and 3320. The tractors seem to be the same except for engine displacement (and HP). I have a Woods BB60 (60" rotary) I use for cutting brush. My aging 601 has enough power to run it to my satisfaction (but only with the clutch out!), and I think the 3120 would also. I also think the 3120 might be slightly more fuel-efficient than the 3320. Assuming a 300CX, 448 (or 447) hoe, 6' Box Blade, and possibly a 6' MMM, would I be likely to regret not going with the 3320?

I think I would choose R4 tires, and there are two sizes available on these tractors, one set has 25x8.50-14 & 15-19.5, and the other has 27x8.5-15 and 43x16-20. What are the practical considerations of these options?

I currently mow with a Gravely 20G with 60" MMM I will probably be selling. I am tempted to get a MMM with the new tractor, but due to its size, weight, and the inconvenience of installing and removing the deck when I want to use the tractor for other purposes, I wonder if I will regret that decision. I could either use the new tractor to do 80% of the 2 acres I now mow and do the yard around the house with a walk-behind mower, or I could skip the MMM and get another piece of equipment for mowing, maybe a ZTR. The ZTR would probably cost me a lot more but might be a better long-term choice. Any opinions?

I appreciate any advice you'd care to share. I've already learned a lot here in the past few days.

Chuck
Raceland, Kentucky

/ 447 or 448 backhoe for 3120? and other questions #2  
Chuck,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( First, for a 3120 or 3320 with 300CX, what would be the reasons for choosing a 448 vs. a 447 backhoe? )</font>

You'll move the tractor less frequently with the longer reach.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a Woods BB60 (60" rotary) I use for cutting brush. My aging 601 has enough power to run it to my satisfaction (but only with the clutch out!), and I think the 3120 would also. )</font>

Figure 5 pto hp per foot of cutting width. Not saying the 3120 won't handle it. You might just have to mow in a lower gear.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think I would choose R4 tires, and there are two sizes available on these tractors, one set has 25x8.50-14 & 15-19.5, and the other has 27x8.5-15 and 43x16-20. What are the practical considerations of these options? )</font>

If you go with a mid mount mower, make sure that the larger tires will clear the mower deck. I had a 1998 4200 with a 72 mid mount mower. One of the front (R3) tires just barely rubbed one side of the deck. The problem was that the 4200 had 3" less wheelbase than the other mid frame CUT's. One would think that Deere would have picked this up during testing but apparantly they missed it. That said, the three thousand twenty series appear to all have the same frame and wheelbase. It is, however, still a first year tractor and I would not be surprised to see a few in line changes (Deere term is "Product Improvement").

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I currently mow with a Gravely 20G with 60" MMM I will probably be selling. I am tempted to get a MMM with the new tractor, but due to its size, weight, and the inconvenience of installing and removing the deck when I want to use the tractor for other purposes, I wonder if I will regret that decision.)</font>

Make sure that you have a large enough flat hard surface to make the change. A six foot mower requires over seven feet along side the tractor.

Another consideration is low hanging branches. A ROPS is a wonderful safety device but it can quickly turn into a hazzard if it snags a substantial tree limb. I use my 72 mid mount mower for most of the three acres that I finish mow (and ordinarily take it off between mowings to do other jobs) but I kept my Yazoo 60" zero turn for trimming and places where I have clearance issues. The tractor and mid mount mower have a decided advantage over the Yazoo on hills because of the tractor's superior traction.

/ 447 or 448 backhoe for 3120? and other questions #3  
Provided the specs are correct and these are the same units used by Deere, the Galaxy 43-16-20's are 4pr and carry 3130# each with the 15-19.5 being 6pr and rated for 4170#. The small 25" fronts are rated for 1450# where the 27" fronts are rated to carry 1740#

The larger R4's are here:

http://www.galaxytire.com/pages/ProductDetail.asp?product_id=613&cat_id=2

Near as I can tell the smaller ones are here: http://www.galaxytire.com/pages/ProductDetail.asp?product_id=632&cat_id=2

I went with the 43's, and although I'm disappointed that the larger tires are lesser rated and not 6 ply, I'm still happy I went larger. 6k on the rear axle is a lot of weight. The increased capacity in front is a good thing. Time will tell how the tread pattern works for grip.

Spec ratio from front to rear is a curious thing. 1.53 for the smaller tires, and about 1.65 for the larger units. The previous Titans had a 1.73 ratio for the smaller tires and 1.61 for the larger. The Titans are also rated to carry more:

http://www.titanstore.com/store/const_indust.html

The 3000-20's may be new, but they are based so highly on the 4000-10 series that the differences are minimal.

If you are going for a non turbo, you may consider the 4410 if you can find one. Pretty much comparable to 3320.

/ 447 or 448 backhoe for 3120? and other questions
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The 3000-20's may be new, but they are based so highly on the 4000-10 series that the differences are minimal.

If you are going for a non turbo, you may consider the 4410 if you can find one. Pretty much comparable to 3320. )</font>

I may check out the 4410's. The dealers around here have lots of them and may be willing to deal. I'll have to see what that would do to my choice of loader and backhoe.