45 acres row crop to hay questions

/ 45 acres row crop to hay questions #1  

murfdog

Tractor
TC45
So I have slowly cleared on my farm until Ive got about 45 acres that are currently leased for corn/beans. 170.00 per acre. But having crops in the fields have opened up a lot of erosion also. Some ditches are at least knee deep maybe more. I've been running the idea of planting it all back in orchard grass and another mix. I just hate seeing my fields tore up after harvests until the next spring plant. My farmer has planted to control erosion but that has minimal benefit. I will be retired in less than three yrs so i will have the time to dedicate to cutting/ planting/ and baling. Any thoughts, suggestions, comments on this matter. I have a 45hp new holland but no other equipment yet. It may require a large amount of money to get set up but may pay for itself in a couple years. Horse hay is in pretty high demand in our area and with a good product you move easily. Thanks for any input.

/ 45 acres row crop to hay questions #2  
Have you considered a CRP program? Sounds like your land certainly meets the erosion criteria? I've got 70 acres of my 150 in CRP. It had been absolutely farmed to death. I spent 3 years filling ditches and seeding good waterways. Now it's all under control. My highest CRP payment is $168 per acre.

/ 45 acres row crop to hay questions #3  
If you are doing it to improve the land to your liking, I would go for it. Depending on the type of grass and how well it’s baled you could possibly make more per acre than what you are getting now and it will be done the way you want it. With your size hp tractor, I would do small square bales, between 60 and 100 pounds. They are easier to handle, store, and sell quicker than round bales and there is more demand for them to small scale horse, show cows, goats, and sheep. It just takes alittle more labor to get them out of the field. I am seeing bale grapples now that make it less labor.
If you are trying to do round bales, 4x5, 5x6, most recommend around @ 100hp tractor. We cut and bale with a 70 hp tractor. Square balers are a lot cheaper than a round baler to buy, especially if you look at new balers. Side delivery and v rakes can be found used for reasonable prices. For the hay cutter I recommend a disc mower only because I know alittle more about them. A lot of people use drum mowers and mower conditioners. There are very few running old sickle bar mowers. We have a John Deere swather that cuts and windrows and it works really nice unless you break a sickle. It makes the perfect windrow to bale square bales but there are a few types of grass that it doesn’t like cutting.
Depending on your budget, I would start out with gently used equipment just to make sure you could get a good group of buyers set up. Once you get a good group of buyers setup, you could always upgrade to new equipment.

/ 45 acres row crop to hay questions
Thanks for the replies. I don't know much on the crp program. Are you allowed to harvest any hay or grasses from your land? I know it is gonna take some time to fix my areas that are eroding. I just bought a ford F700 and have plenty of access to good dirt. I only plan to do square bales due to quite high demand in the area. This will be just me working as you cant depend on the wife and kids due to activities and schedules. I always look at their help as an added bonus when they do pitch in. I have a TC 45 currently so I know I will have to get a second tractor and all the fixins.

/ 45 acres row crop to hay questions #5  
So I have slowly cleared on my farm until Ive got about 45 acres that are currently leased for corn/beans. 170.00 per acre. But having crops in the fields have opened up a lot of erosion also. Some ditches are at least knee deep maybe more. I've been running the idea of planting it all back in orchard grass and another mix. I just hate seeing my fields tore up after harvests until the next spring plant. My farmer has planted to control erosion but that has minimal benefit. I will be retired in less than three yrs so i will have the time to dedicate to cutting/ planting/ and baling. Any thoughts, suggestions, comments on this matter. I have a 45hp new holland but no other equipment yet. It may require a large amount of money to get set up but may pay for itself in a couple years. Horse hay is in pretty high demand in our area and with a good product you move easily. Thanks for any input.

When all things are said and done, you will have much more work, equipment, and trouble trying to make $170 per acre in hay.

/ 45 acres row crop to hay questions #6  
Thanks for the replies. I don't know much on the crp program. Are you allowed to harvest any hay or grasses from your land? I know it is gonna take some time to fix my areas that are eroding. I just bought a ford F700 and have plenty of access to good dirt. I only plan to do square bales due to quite high demand in the area. This will be just me working as you cant depend on the wife and kids due to activities and schedules. I always look at their help as an added bonus when they do pitch in. I have a TC 45 currently so I know I will have to get a second tractor and all the fixins.

What is your goal?

/ 45 acres row crop to hay questions
I guess my goal is to fix my erosion and get my pastures back to where you can at least walk the fields without knee deep ruts. If I could do this while still making some money off the hay then I'm good with that too.

/ 45 acres row crop to hay questions #8  
Then you should consider CRP.

/ 45 acres row crop to hay questions #9  
I made same move except I was the farmer. Made it for profit as the acreage was not enough to not have to hire combining and boy was that a great decision with the farmers who are not farming this year. Don't think raising hay is not expensive or at least here. Do your research. Talk with county agent, they should have good numbers on cost of raising hay and expected yield. Guess horse hay is easy to sell...but buyers have to be found and want hay in amount you want to sell and pay you when you are due it. In addition to county agent try to find at least two local farmers who raise hay and talk with them. You would like one who is willing to advise and work with you. He would have the equipment needed to allow you to buy your own as your operation becomes profitable and you become more comfortable. Is pasture a possibility?