45DA w/ Backhoe?

/ 45DA w/ Backhoe? #1  

cjtinkle

Tractor
2007 John Deere 4320
Hi All,
A few years back ya'll were invaluable to our decision making process when we bought our tractor, a 45D. Since then, we've sold our old farm, gone fulltime in our RV, and just bought another 60 acres of wooded, hilly land in the Ozarks.

Seeings how well we loved our 45D (which was stolen off the dealer's lot!) I suspect we'll buy the same tractor, (now called the 45DA?).

Our new land has about 10 acres or so in bottom land, but it's mostly fairly steep, and completely wooded. We'll be building a new homestead/hobby farm from scratch. We will probably clear about 5 acres for pasture, and another 1 or 2 for gardens and orchard.

The "road" in is about 1/8 or a 1/4 mile (I'm not good at guessing) and is a grass path at the moment, so needs graded and ditched and graveled, but the tree removal is mostly done.

We'll be running water and power lines, working on creek banks, possibly adding a small pond, of course footing work for buildings, electric lines, etc. The whole gamut.

Is this tractor still enough tractor? Are the backhoe attachments you can add really worthwhile or would they be a waste of money in Ozark soil?

Last time, I was the one using the tractor on our 90 acres, mostly for brushogging (50 acres) and some barn and yard work. I loved it. But it wasn't used for any heavy work as my husband was on the road. This time he'll be the main operator, we want enough tractor, but of course would like to stay as small as we can.

Appreciate any comments and ideas.
CJ

/ 45DA w/ Backhoe? #2  
Welcome back cjtinkle,

Since it seems everyone is still recuperating /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll respond with my 2 cents worth.

All I can say is....I wish I was in your shoes. New property & lots of it plus buying a (NEW ?) 45DA possibly....must be nice. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My TC35D is in the same class as the 40 & 45 NH series tractors just less HP & less lift capability. From what you have described I don't see why the 45DA could not handle all those tasks. Sure you could go bigger but if you want to stay as small as you can & still have a tractor that is capable, the 45DA IMHO is a good choice. That way you could still go into the woods with a relatively small foot-print.

In so far as the Ozark's, I am not familiar so not sure if there is alot of rock in the ground. If there is, obviously, the larger the tractor the easier it will be to dig. Your best bet for an answer to your NH back-hoe question would be PineRidge or others who have actual dig-time in. Hopefully they will chime in.

Best Of Luck On This Incredible Project,

Vic

/ 45DA w/ Backhoe?
Thanks Vic,
Indeed, the Ozarks soil is quite rocky, which is why I'm wondering if one of these backhoe attachments can handle it or we'd just be wasting our money. I figure we'd spend the $10k or so that they cost hiring the same amount of work out, which is why we'd rather buy one ourself. Not really keen on having a an older huge backhoe around either.

As for the tractor itself, I feel pretty confident it's up to the tasks, having had that model previously, it's more it combined with the backhoe I'm questioning. I'd be in hog heaven if it would do the job!
CJ

/ 45DA w/ Backhoe? #4  
I have a TC 40da with the New Holland 758C backhoe. I was initially disappointed with its power when encountering tree roots, but i think that was my expectations rather than the hoe. My only past experience with a backhoe was a larger Case unit. The 758 takes longer to do the job, but its WAY easier than picking up a shovel!! Installed it was a couple hundred under $7,000.

/ 45DA w/ Backhoe? #5  
CJ, a lot of time has passed since the era of the TC45D. I'd suggest you take this opportunity to take a shopping tour and just see what is available from New Holland and other brands. If you want to stick with the short wheelbase CUT, NH has the TC48 and TC55 with some really nice features if you are willing to give up the hydro tranny. If you want to look at orange, the Kubota 5030HSTC is a nice new offering that will give you increased HP and keep you in a hydro tranny. Also John Deere has some impressive new offerings with loaders that have remarkable specs and also auto-leveling buckets.

Since you are an informed buyer and very knowledgable of the NH TC45's capabilities, you can make a real-world comparison and see if some of the advanced features of other tractors might suit your fancy. Of course, I've only named the big three because I'm talking about hydro trannies. If you would consider gear tractors, then my list of "look-and-sees" would get a lot longer.

Good luck. BTW: I think you would be happy with the TC45DA, but I think you might be limiting yourself in the long run and end up upgrading in about 5 years. I know I wish I had additional capability every time I use my TC45D, but that's just my nature I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ 45DA w/ Backhoe?
The 45 is plenty of tractor for what we need on a "daily" basis on a hobby farm, and I can operate it! Giving up that Hydro though... while DH wouldn't care, I'm afraid my brain might melt when trying to go frontwards, backwards, and operate the FEL all at the same time. LOL

We will stick with the NH because the dealer near us is good, and we liked the tractor. I hate to buy a huge tractor to do all the initial work, only to end up with way more than we need afterwards, but I don't want to buy one that isn't up to the job either.

I figure it'll be about a year before we buy it, so I'm going to be researching for some time. Hopefully I'll hear back from more backhoe users, as that's the main area of concern.

Too bad we aren't rich, and could have a "his and hers". LOL