4610 su II coolant temp??

/ 4610 su II coolant temp?? #1  

nightrider2108

Tractor
ford 4610 su II
hey guys i recently changed the thermostat in this tractor when i flushed and refilled with 50/50 antifreeze and i bottle fw 15 it doesnt seem like tractor is heating up like before. before i changed everything the temp guage came down about 1/2 way in the green zone on the temp guage now it barely gets past the first line could i possibly have done something wrong installing t stat ? i even hooked up to mower and got in the thick stuff it heated up a little more but still not even 1/2 way to where it ran before i know i dont need to run to cool any suggestions?? oh and the t stat was a 180 degree which is what the old t stat was that came out. thanks for any help dont know if i need to get another t stat 19.98 at NH dealer or run like it is also does anybody have a part number from napa or any part store the dealer seems a little high?

/ 4610 su II coolant temp?? #2  
What did you do with the old thermostat? Before spending money on a new one, I'd put the old one back in to see what its effect might be. Also, investing in a non-contact IR thermometer can be a huge benefit when checking things like this. Harbor Freight sells two models. One is around $20 and the other is around $30. If you don't have an HF nearby, Northern Tool and Equipment also carries them.

Is there any chance that your coolant was a bit low before you drained and refilled? If so, that could account for your difference. I'd also perform one more test. Pull the lead off your temperature probe near your thermostat and put a jumper from the end of the wire to ground. Turn on your key and watch to see if the temp gage goes all the way to full hot. If it does not go all the way to maximum hot, then the meter itself is not indicating correctly.

/ 4610 su II coolant temp?? #3  
hey guys i recently changed the thermostat in this tractor when i flushed and refilled with 50/50 antifreeze and i bottle fw 15 it doesnt seem like tractor is heating up like before. before i changed everything the temp guage came down about 1/2 way in the green zone on the temp guage now it barely gets past the first line could i possibly have done something wrong installing t stat ? i even hooked up to mower and got in the thick stuff it heated up a little more but still not even 1/2 way to where it ran before i know i dont need to run to cool any suggestions?? oh and the t stat was a 180 degree which is what the old t stat was that came out. thanks for any help dont know if i need to get another t stat 19.98 at NH dealer or run like it is also does anybody have a part number from napa or any part store the dealer seems a little high?

If you kept the old theromostat, put it in a pan of water and heat it up. Does it open all the way when the water just before starts to boil? Could be your old 'stat was bad and not opening fully.

If that's not the case, get a thermometer and let the tractor warm up without the rad cap on and check the temperature of the coolant after the thermostat opens. Compare the measurement with the needle position on the gauge. If the coolant is 180 -190F and the gauge shows cold the sending unit or the gauge is the problem. (Ground the wire from the gauge to the sending unit and the gauge should go full scale. If it does then the sending unit is the problem.)

If the gauge is in the "normal" band call it good.

Last edited:
   / 4610 su II coolant temp?? #4  
I was just cutting grass the last couple of days with the 3910. The ambient temperature has been about 80-85 and tractor coolant temp was running about 160. As soon as I saw the gage hit 180, I knew it was time to stop and clean the radiator screen and radiator. Back down to 160 it went for another few hours. :thumbsup: