47 Snowblower

/ 47 Snowblower #1  

classic

Bronze Member
I have a vibration in my 47 blower. Its mounted on a 2320. It only vibrates for about 5 or 6 seconds after the load comes off. Meaning after I stop to back up or whatever. I pulled it apart and replaced both bearings on the stub shaft with the sprocket because one bearing had broken the lip on the bearing. Thought sure I had it solved. Oh and a new chain and the stub shaft. Tried it today and no difference. Any thoughts?

/ 47 Snowblower #2  
I had one doing that due to the shaft going into the rear of the gear box being slightly out of true to the gear box. I found that out after replacing all three bearings. I'd check that, and also check to see if the small welds that hold the fan blades have broken anywhere. They can vibrate some until the rpm's drop off when letting off from load. Last, have someone run the blower up and then back down at very low rpm's while you stand in front and watch for any wobble or anything out of alignment/true on the auger or fan.

/ 47 Snowblower #3  
Did you check the all 3 shear bolts and the set screws in the pork chops that the shear bolts mount to? Also check the chain tension. The sprocket on the primary shaft has been known to be out of concentric causing chain bind and vibration. Only took me 10 years to eliminate all the vibrations in my 47" blower

/ 47 Snowblower
Did you check the all 3 shear bolts and the set screws in the pork chops that the shear bolts mount to? Also check the chain tension. The sprocket on the primary shaft has been known to be out of concentric causing chain bind and vibration. Only took me 10 years to eliminate all the vibrations in my 47" blower

Checked all the shear bolts. Everything tight. New chain. Proper tension.This just started part way through this winter. I've had it 6 winters. First year for the problem.

/ 47 Snowblower #5  
Checked all the shear bolts. Everything tight. New chain. Proper tension.This just started part way through this winter. I've had it 6 winters. First year for the problem.

Take a look at the brace that holds the auger gearbox in front of the high speed impeller. I found that one of mine was bent, but not enough to draw my attention to it right away. With it being bent, the auger wasn't rotating around a true straight axis and was causing it to shake. Someone who had owned it before I got it had rammed it, or driven it forwards into packed snow and it bent the brace which pulled the auger out of true alignment. There was no damage to the auger flighting in any way, so I doubt they had run into the auger with anything.

/ 47 Snowblower
Any other ideas? Some body must have run into this problem with all the 47's out there.

/ 47 Snowblower #7  
Any chance you can have someone sit on the tractor and run the rpm's up and down while you look at the drive shafts and listen and see if you can pinpoint the resonance?

/ 47 Snowblower
I can try that.

/ 47 Snowblower #9  
Another thing to check is the carrier bearing in the front hitch that the drive shaft passes through. If that goes bad, you'll get a vibration until it explodes. They aren't too bad expensive, and are fairly easy to replace.

/ 47 Snowblower
Problem solved. It was one of the hex bearings on the drive shaft. It finally ate all the balls and then i could see the problem.