470dtc broken frame

/ 470dtc broken frame #1  

Dukeisok

Tractor
Ls 470dtc
I am the somewhat fortunate recipient of a free tractor. My dad purchased some land in coastal North Carolina and on that land was left a tractor that at the time was non-running. He dragged it out spent a couple thousand dollars on it and decided it wasn't big enough for his needs so he dropped it at my house. The tractor is a 2000 model LG landtrac 470 DTC with a long 5430 loader on it.

It's not a good tractor, but the price was right. Parts are somewhat difficult to find although actually my nearest Tractor Dealership is about 9 Mi away and they are an LS dealer so they keep most maintenance Parts on the shelf and can get most anything else.

If you're not familiar this tractor was made by LG in South Korea it has a Mitsubishi 47 horsepower 4 cylinder naturally aspirated engine shuttle shift Category 2 3-point hitch, 3,500 lb loader capacity, four wheel drive. It has dual rear auxiliary Hydraulics draft control independent pto, it's reasonably laid out but remains essentially a gray Market tractor.

The problem that I've run into with it is that the loader is probably oversized for the capabilities of the tractor. Specifically the tractor has broken its frame because of the loader. It does have a full subframe that seems to be intact but where the front portion of the loader mounts to the very nose of the tractor has put enough Force on the 3/8 plate steel metal frame that it has fractured all the way through. Now if I depress the loader it flips the nose of the tractor up enough that the top of the radiator hits the cooling fan.

I took it into the shop, welded up the crack in the frame after aligning it with jacks and went to the other side where it was missing a few bolts attaching the subframe to the frame. I installed those bolts. Question is whether I need to sister on some additional Steel to provide additional support, or if I can get away with just butt welding the frame and replacing the bolts on the other side that allowed it to flex in the first place. There's a name plate on the frame that would have to be ground off and moved in order to add additional steel but otherwise it wouldn't be a big deal to sister an additional plate on there. Is anybody have experience with anything like this, thoughts?

Attachments

• 20240314_142442.jpg
    20240314_142442.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 54
   / 470dtc broken frame #2  
I would plate it both sides of the tractor (left and right) as far as you can go both ways..

/ 470dtc broken frame
That was my initial thought but sometimes laziness takes over. I'll see what steel I've got in the shop. The only thing I could find so far is actually an old metal Target 3/8 thick ar500 I'll just cut it down with the plasma cutter and attach it

/ 470dtc broken frame
I found some 3/8 a36 plate that should be easier to weld and cut. I'll get to it

/ 470dtc broken frame #5  
Cut the reinforcing plates in a diamond shape to avoid cracking in the future.

/ 470dtc broken frame
Yes, that's exactly what we did. I have a 15-year-old who is learning to become a jack of all trades. He is in welding class in high school/ community college. While neither of us are experts I told him to have at it given the low risk of this repair. He used my plasma cutter to cut the angles off and make it a diamond shape and used reverse polarity 6011 stick to butt weld the frame together and then came back and added the longest 3/8 plate on either side that we could fit. Unfortunately was only a little more than a foot before we ran into additional attachments. We were able to extend the plate significantly Superior to where the initial frame ended which should provide it with additional strength. The reverse polarity stick welds don't look good but they penetrate deeply and so far it's been holding with no difficulties. Thanks for the advice

Attachments

• 20240322_214156.jpg
    20240322_214156.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26