4710 - New Old stock?

/ 4710 - New Old stock? #1  

HereBull

Tractor
4710 MF
Hey everyone,

I just got me a Massey 4710 and got some questions I'm looking for others thoughts on, especially since I'm new to the DEF tractors in general.

It took awhile to get mine in of course due to the shortages and all that, my local dealer ended up finding one from another dealer and had it brought in.

Unfortunately I just noticed it was an older production, Jan 2019 (still sold as new with only a few hours on it) but already having DEF error codes. I had noticed when it got to their dealer for prep, both diesel and DEF tanks were bone dry.
Coupled with one of the AC hoses being disconnected and left open to atmosphere (from factory possible?) as well as a loose unconnected cable hanging down around the PTO which I can't find where it would connect to (except an open hole on the bottom left back side of the PTO) - It makes me wonder if this is going to be full of gremlins going forward.

What is y'alls thoughts on a tractor that sat for such a period with no use, no fluids in either tank (I worry about moisture build-up), AC system being left open to atmosphere, and of course other smaller things like peeling stickers, etc.

I know the 4700 series are pretty reliable but I worry about something that might have sat for 2+ years with empty tanks (especially the DEF system), the unconnected cable that is just hanging in the PTO area and of course the open AC line.

It doesn't help my confidence that under an hour after off-load, I've already got a cryptic DEF error code that it feels like it has put it into reduced power.

The hanging PTO wire still bugs me and I'm curious on other 4710 owners if you can take a look, do you have two wires in braided looms back there? One that is connected breaks right and connects top right on the PTO. The other one I got that is disconnected, looks like it would connect somewhere on the lower left side of the PTO housing behind a shroud but all I got is a big hole and a smaller hole (wondering if there should be another sensor or such there?)

**EDIT**
Looks like that hanging PTO wire goes to a missing PTO speed sensor, so I'm guessing this tractor was possibly used to pull parts from at another dealer is my guess.

Really hoping to get these concerns worked out since I really love the platform but it's frustrating having a new tractor already down in under an hour after unload.

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / 4710 - New Old stock? #2  
Have things changed so much? Ten years ago manufacturers were still building models in extended runs and then warehousing them until a distributor got enough dealer calls to bring in a shipment of any model.
Warehoused machines are stored with oil but not with coolant, fuel, & volatiles. A lot of dealers put in most of next year's orders at the winter dealer convention to take advantage of warehouse specials. They don't care when it was actually built - only that it is a current model. That's because tractors go by serial # instead of by the year when they are sold.

Built Jan,2019? I'd say you are lucky! A MF sold in 2021 as a 2021 version "could" have been built as far back as 2016 - that being when the 4710 DEF version came out. DEF error codes are famous for giving trouble. Blame it on the gov't who required a software shutdown loop with certain errors.

Maybe someone did rob your tractors PTO sensor..but that doesn't make it a "Parts Tractor". It simply makes it one standing in the wrong place and unsold while a pandemic has made fools out of the best parts supply houses.
Shucks, I think there's a pretty good argument in favor of buying a tractor build and warehoused by experienced workers back BEFORE Covid struck and messed up normal manufacturing.

/ 4710 - New Old stock?
Have things changed so much? Ten years ago manufacturers were still building models in extended runs and then warehousing them until a distributor got enough dealer calls to bring in a shipment of any model.
Warehoused machines are stored with oil but not with coolant, fuel, & volatiles. A lot of dealers put in most of next year's orders at the winter dealer convention to take advantage of warehouse specials. They don't care when it was actually built - only that it is a current model. That's because tractors go by serial # instead of by the year when they are sold.

Built Jan,2019? I'd say you are lucky! A MF sold in 2021 as a 2021 version "could" have been built as far back as 2016 - that being when the 4710 DEF version came out. DEF error codes are famous for giving trouble. Blame it on the gov't who required a software shutdown loop with certain errors.

Maybe someone did rob your tractors PTO sensor..but that doesn't make it a "Parts Tractor". It simply makes it one standing in the wrong place and unsold while a pandemic has made fools out of the best parts supply houses.
Shucks, I think there's a pretty good argument in favor of buying a tractor build and warehoused by experienced workers back BEFORE Covid struck and messed up normal manufacturing.
I had a feeling that might be the case but there were definitely signs that this model sat out for quite some time, in this case it was definitely built in Jan of 2019 as the nameplate and serial show a 2019 year in them, as well as a sticker on it from the Brazil plant showing the date it left their plant, the date it was ordered by Agco in Georgia, etc.

I was definitely leaning towards your latter statement though of better to have a tractor built before the crazy rushes and push to get more out the door, with the possibility of more room for error.

Right now my dealer is doing a pretty darn good job on working with me to address the problems but obviously I still have that fear of the unknown, especially given everything seen thus far. Just makes me very nervous of "Ok what else might have gotten pulled but not put back in, or back in right"

/ 4710 - New Old stock? #4  
I had a feeling that might be the case but there were definitely signs that this model sat out for quite some time, in this case it was definitely built in Jan of 2019 as the nameplate and serial show a 2019 year in them, as well as a sticker on it from the Brazil plant showing the date it left their plant, the date it was ordered by Agco in Georgia, etc.

I was definitely leaning towards your latter statement though of better to have a tractor built before the crazy rushes and push to get more out the door, with the possibility of more room for error.

Right now my dealer is doing a pretty darn good job on working with me to address the problems but obviously I still have that fear of the unknown, especially given everything seen thus far. Just makes me very nervous of "Ok what else might have gotten pulled but not put back in, or back in right"
HereBull IMHO if the dealer is working with You on the issues I wouldn't be concerned, I would be making sure the warranty went into effect upon purchase date usually 5 years & if it had a fresh battery upon purchase & not a 2019 battery & rSCOTTY is correct on his reply about tractors being dry shipped & that has more to do with DOT regulations & avoiding potential hazmat situation during shipping & as far as the PTO sensor that should have been something the dealer should have caught during there prepurchase prep, But if your happy with what the dealer is doing then I wouldn't be to concerned but don't be complacent. I noticed when I bought my new 2018 M-F 1526 it had white wax lines on all the nuts & bolts to show everything had been torqued & yellow markings where fluids are put in & drain plugs.Again IMHO it sounds like You have a good dealer to work with & that is one less worry.Enjoy your new tractor! & welcome to TBN.

/ 4710 - New Old stock?
HereBull IMHO if the dealer is working with You on the issues I wouldn't be concerned, I would be making sure the warranty went into effect upon purchase date usually 5 years & if it had a fresh battery upon purchase & not a 2019 battery & rSCOTTY is correct on his reply about tractors being dry shipped & that has more to do with DOT regulations & avoiding potential hazmat situation during shipping & as far as the PTO sensor that should have been something the dealer should have caught during there prepurchase prep, But if your happy with what the dealer is doing then I wouldn't be to concerned but don't be complacent. I noticed when I bought my new 2018 M-F 1526 it had white wax lines on all the nuts & bolts to show everything had been torqued & yellow markings where fluids are put in & drain plugs.Again IMHO it sounds like You have a good dealer to work with & that is one less worry.Enjoy your new tractor! & welcome to TBN.
Yeah right now I'm still waiting to hear back, battery is definitely a 2019 though. Possibly got the warranty extended from 2yrs to 4 but still need confirmation on that, doesn't sound like they are willing to cover cost of travel though which doesn't sit well with the few issues it's already needed service on sadly.

Noticed the AC suction line is still freezing up when in use as well as a loader hydraulic leak down overnight which I never had in my last tractor (basically bucket when left raised will leak down through the night). Been extremely busy with work and other things to stay ontop of things but nobody has really made the effort to reach back out to me over the past few weeks on a few pain points I still have to express.

Hoping I can get some confirmations after the holiday as right now there is still lots up in the air. I did save a few thousand off another dealer on this, plus the bigger loader (really didn't need the FL loader, 931X was gonna be good enough) but ya got all these little things that take away from it.

/ 4710 - New Old stock? #6  
Yeah right now I'm still waiting to hear back, battery is definitely a 2019 though. Possibly got the warranty extended from 2yrs to 4 but still need confirmation on that, doesn't sound like they are willing to cover cost of travel though which doesn't sit well with the few issues it's already needed service on sadly.

Noticed the AC suction line is still freezing up when in use as well as a loader hydraulic leak down overnight which I never had in my last tractor (basically bucket when left raised will leak down through the night). Been extremely busy with work and other things to stay ontop of things but nobody has really made the effort to reach back out to me over the past few weeks on a few pain points I still have to express.

Hoping I can get some confirmations after the holiday as right now there is still lots up in the air. I did save a few thousand off another dealer on this, plus the bigger loader (really didn't need the FL loader, 931X was gonna be good enough) but ya got all these little things that take away from it.
Hey HereBull ! if this goes past this upcoming week , I would contact corp. ASAP & let them know all the dates You contacted the dealer & nothing is being resolved & You should have gotten the same warranty irregardless of the date of manufacture it's still a brand new tractor at the time of purchase & as far as I know the dealer is not responsible for the to & from transport fees while under warranty service or there after but the other issues should be resolved soon, Give them the rest of week & if your satisfied let them no of your intensions & double check your purchase agreement! & be polite & I hope everything gets resolved.