4720 Fuel Primer Pump Leak

/ 4720 Fuel Primer Pump Leak #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Well yesterday I thought I smelled fuel. Took 4720 out of barn this morning and noticed fresh stains-then all of a sudden heavy drip on right side. the primer pump on the fuel filter was the problem so called dealer and as luck would have it that top section on filter that contains the pump was on BO but they are due in tomorrow.

with 1300 hrs wonder if this is a common failure-also is it a simple "O" ring replacement on shaft and in typical JD fashion-"nope-you need a new pump"?

anyone experience this?

/ 4720 Fuel Primer Pump Leak #2  
Red
Take it apart and see what is up.
Let us know..

/ 4720 Fuel Primer Pump Leak
Red
Take it apart and see what is up.
Let us know..

Done-its a 50 cent piece of plastic. Large coil spring that I assume sits on some sort of diaphram pump and coils inside the threaded cap. then there is the plunger. And the defective part is i'm sure some little "O"ring that goes around the plunger shaft. Can't wait to see what they charge me for this. The parts site doesn't show this as a separate part.

/ 4720 Fuel Primer Pump Leak #4  
Your instincts were "spot-on". Gonna be a "unit". Side note... My 5075M has the exact fuel filter (and assembly) that the 4720 has. Same oil filter, too.

No problems, yet with either tractor. But, I have cussed that d@mn pump after changing the filter. Hard to get the system re-primed.

Be curious to hear how much the "unit" costs.

/ 4720 Fuel Primer Pump Leak
Your instincts were "spot-on". Gonna be a "unit". Side note... My 5075M has the exact fuel filter (and assembly) that the 4720 has. Same oil filter, too.

No problems, yet with either tractor. But, I have cussed that d@mn pump after changing the filter. Hard to get the system re-primed.

Be curious to hear how much the "unit" costs.

Well the good news was when I show up at parts counter, guy goes in back room and comes out with a little box. I'm saying-"oh good-they are not making me by the entire filter housing as the parts website does not show just the primer pump with a niumber.

M y joy was short lived- 76 bucks including the cut for the state of Mass and 4 buck office fee even though this part came in as an order that had been placed for their stock!

But I did get some satisfaction-again short lived. Needed the primary dry air filter- deere on line price 35 bucks. Cross reference and local parts house has a Hastings for 22. I call them up and they say be here at 2:30. go down there and guy brings out ratty looking box with tape on end-as he is printing invoice I open box-its crushed on end! They will have "fresh one" first thing in morning. Walmart by the way-a Fram for 16 bucks plus 6 shipping. rather have Fram but needed machine.