49 8N Lights Installation

/ 49 8N Lights Installation #1  

Bartman1959

Silver Member
Tractor
1949 Ford 8N
My 49 8N came with a brand new pair of head lights still in the box, but no rear light, work light, or light switch. So, other than a new pair of head lights, I have nothing else for the installation of lights for this tractor. I don't even know where the light switch will mount once I buy one. This tractor has been upgraded to 12V system.
What all do I need to buy for the install, and what gauge wire will I need?
Thanks guys for all your advise on my other questions.

/ 49 8N Lights Installation #2  
12v lamps are a breeze on a tractor.

on your 8n, look around the dash and cowling area for an unused hole.

hit a store like tractor supply, rural king, autozone, etc, and get a generic push pull light switch with 3 positions, off, front, front and rear ( off, parking, parking and headlamps ). And wire it like that. power to the lamp switch from the side of the ammeter where the key gets it's power, use a lamp switch that has a fuse, then you have 2 circuit, the front lamps and the rear. run the front lamps off the tap that just powers the front, and run the rear lamp off the tap that powers the front and rear. 14awg wire is fine for this. your lamps are likely 30,35, or 55w. that means the max load your switch is expecting is 55x3 or 165w. your bat voltage is 12.6, and charging, more like 14.4.. thus currrent ranges in 11-13a.. so I'd go with a 15a fuse. That will protect your wiring.

Also.. many lamps are made to ground to the sheet metal and only have a single wire for power. Save yourself some headaches and run a ground wire to each lamp and put a ring terminal on it so that it contacts the mounting stem or whatever mount screws that it uses for metal to metal contact to achieve ground. that way you won't be relying on 60 year old rusty sheet metal for ground. your ground wire can come from the battery, where the battery grounds at the frame, or from the alternator body.. many have a few tapped holes on them with a screw/bolt already in them for grounding point.

/ 49 8N Lights Installation
Thanks SouNdguy. If I install a tail light and a rear work light, do they wire in the same way as the head lights do?

/ 49 8N Lights Installation #4  
the tail lamp can be wired tot he headlamp circuit, those are typically 15w lamps, however I'd upsize the fuse to 20a

So the rear work light would be on a separate switch?

/ 49 8N Lights Installation #6  
So the rear work light would be on a separate switch?

no... rear work light is on the 2nd portion of the headlamp switch circuit. the headlamp switch has 2 circuits. half pull out and full pull out.

you could however put a separate switch right at the tail and work lamp if you wanted to. my ford 5000 rear blinking red/amber lamp has a switch right on it.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. That way I could use head and tail lights without using the rear work light.