4WD = Good Thing

/ 4WD = Good Thing #1  

paccorti

Gold Member
Tractor
TC35D with 16LA Loader
Yesterday I was grabbing some extra dirt to build up one of the berms on my pond. In the process I have to cross a drainage ditch to get to the pile of dirt. Well as you can imagine, no trouble on the way in, but with 1000lb of dirt in the bucket a whole new adventure getting out! Other than pushing around some snow this was the first time I ever really needed 4wd. It's strange, the front tires were in the muck too and I didn't think 4wd would help that much. I was wrong. I flipped the 4wd engage lever and I was out of the ditch in seconds. I finally appreciate 4wd.

Peter

/ 4WD = Good Thing #2  
I had to use my 4wd just to cross a dry, flat field yesterday. I picked up a bucket full of fieldstones from a pile we made last year and with just my box blade on the back, it got pretty light in the rear. Kind of felt like the rears were slipping a bit. I put it in 4wd and everything felt fine again. I've heard of people using 4wd with the loader just for that reason. Glad you got out OK Peter /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-32437-790signaturegif.gif

/ 4WD = Good Thing #3  
Peter, did yopu get your toothbar for your bucket? right size?
I'm working on my mulch pile, very big, with a 54" tiller and then loading into my trailer and selling it for $50. It's 3year old leaf mulch from the local city fall pickup. It's some black gold. Very rich looking and doesn't smell at all. I've tilled some of it into the garden and WOW it makes the red clay look much better.

gary

/ 4WD = Good Thing #4  
Peter

I have to agree. It is pretty nice when the motion ceases to just be able to pull the lever & "un-do" the mistake of puting yourself in a spot too slippery to be in. I couldn't live without it. Buying 4WD is money well spent.

Troy

/ 4WD = Good Thing
Gary,

I didn't get the toothbar yet. I'm thinking of calling Carver for a deal similar to yours. Did you have the option to specify how far back the bolt holes would be? I guess not or you would have saved yourself all that metal grinding. Bent that heavy duty bucket yet /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Peter

P.S. How'd you get all the leaves from the city?

/ 4WD = Good Thing #6  
Peter, Gary

Do you guys, or anyone else, have a picture of your heavy duty bucket. My dealer claims the 72" bucket on my 7309 loader is heavy duty. I have bent the top lip on mine twice. I need to reinforce the lip.

4WD make all the difference. Pushing snow banks back with rear chains, 1300lbs ballast on the 3pt hitch 2wd doesn't even make it. But put it in 4wd and it's like you got triple the traction. Make me wonder how the farmers did it with 2wd.

Derek
18-29716-2120.gif

/ 4WD = Good Thing #7  
Peter, the WD. Long teeth from carver are great. I only specified the model and loader that it was going on. I guess the specs got a little messed-up to Long from NH(or somewhere). The grinding was a pain, but not too agrivating.
The HD bucket is still in great shape. I've mostly limited it to a little bit of firewood and mulch. Opps, I forgot the 5 25' power poles I loaded too. No problem there either.

The mulch/leaves where on some land that the city wanted to build a senior center and the contractor needed a place to dump them. He had dumped some drum shredded clearing debris on the land earlier and wanted to know if he could bring the leaves too. He hauled for 2 days and pushed the pile up with a track loader. The heat and the gas made a good fog the whole time. The wind changed a few neighbors started to complain about the smell. So I had them stop.

Derek
No pics here yet
The only difference I saw between the HD bucket and the STD was all the holes drilled in the bottom lip to attach the cutter blade too. The STD bucket I had didn't have them.

/ 4WD = Good Thing #8  
I think I got the light duty bucket, no holes in mine.

Derek
18-29716-2120.gif