Traction 4x4 axle question

/ 4x4 axle question #1  

jredkins

Tractor
Kubota BX2370
Today while working on my bx2370 I wiggled the 4x4 shaft and was shocked when the shaft pulled right out of the splined hub...is this normal? I looked closer and see that there is a hole that goes thru the shaft and the splined hub that the shaft goes into. Is there a missing cotter pin, bolt, etc... here?
TIA

/ 4x4 axle question #2  
Not sure about that particular model, but on an L2850 I worked on, yes, there was a roll pin that went thru the 2 splined pieces to keep them from slipping apart. I would contact your dealer, or the parts guys at Messick's, I've been real pleased with the advice, knowledge, and fast Supply of parts from them.

/ 4x4 axle question #3  
Seems to me there should indeed be a pin there! Check the parts diagrams on Messicks.com and you can see for sure, and also order a replacement pin.

/ 4x4 axle question #4  
My M135GX is a lot larger but I assume the drive is basically the same - the roll pin in the coupler sheared, the coupler walked up the shaft, and I lost fwd. Similar thing on my BIL's L3000 - only thing his destroyed the coupler and shaft by eroding the splines away.

/ 4x4 axle question #5  
Jut happened to me, I am doing a lot of loader work in Sand, driving up into a dune, getting a scoop, then once on blacktop, switching to 2WD to deliver the load 6 driveways down the street,. After a few hours of that, I went to climb up the dune again only to start spinning at the slightest incline. I noticed just the Rear's were spinning.
I looked under the tractor to find the FWD shaft laying gin the road I was parked on to inspect.
There is definitely a roll pin that should keep the spline shaft attached .