4x4 not engaging

/ 4x4 not engaging #1  

Tck

Tractor
Yanmar 226D
I just acquired a Yanmar 226d, not sure what year. The 4x4 is not engaging, the lever feels like it's just free swinging. Could there be a pon sheared off inside? Also the pto works in 540 rpm but not 1000.

/ 4x4 not engaging #2  
Most likely, it's a roll pin or something in the linkage sheared off.

/ 4x4 not engaging #3  
I own a Yanmar 186D tractor, one size smaller than yours. there is an internal prong atttached to the 4x4 shift lever that wears down or breaks off. small cheap part, but requires splitting the tractor to reach it. visit hoyetractor.com for searchable repair links regarding your issue,... as well as parts. I always leave my tractor in 4wd in hopes of avoiding that issue. Weak design unfortunately.

/ 4x4 not engaging #4  
Curious if OP has checked linkage yet? Always good to close the loop if they were able to resolve the issue.

/ 4x4 not engaging
I own a Yanmar 186D tractor, one size smaller than yours. there is an internal prong atttached to the 4x4 shift lever that wears down or breaks off. small cheap part, but requires splitting the tractor to reach it. visit hoyetractor.com for searchable repair links regarding your issue,... as well as parts. I always leave my tractor in 4wd in hopes of avoiding that issue. Weak design unfortunately.
I checked a little closer and the front end is actually engaged so I'll probably just leave it alone as I'd like to have it working to push snow. There is a box under the transmission that I think I can drop to fix it if need be.