5 Switches to Control 3 Lights

/ 5 Switches to Control 3 Lights #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
I want to wire a switch by each doors in or going into my basement to control 3 lights (maybe just 2). The three lights will alow safe navigation of the basement since there are no window outside of the bedrooms.

Doors:
1 @ top of stairs going down
1 @ outside entrance
1 @ the outside of each of the 2 bed rooms
1 @ bathroom

Question can I wire up a 4 way switch setup with 5 switches total to control 3 lights and how to do it? I think its two 4 way switches with three 3 way switches in the middle.

/ 5 Switches to Control 3 Lights #3  
I want to wire a switch by each doors in or going into my basement to control 3 lights (maybe just 2). The three lights will alow safe navigation of the basement since there are no window outside of the bedrooms.

Doors:
1 @ top of stairs going down
1 @ outside entrance
1 @ the outside of each of the 2 bed rooms
1 @ bathroom

Question can I wire up a 4 way switch setup with 5 switches total to control 3 lights and how to do it? I think its two 4 way switches with three 3 way switches in the middle.

The opposite. 3-ways on the ends and 4-ways in the middle. In your case, two 3-ways on the ends and three 4-ways in the middle. The supply (power) would go to the "beginning" 3-way and the "ending" 3-way would go to the lights. Power-3way-4way-4way-4way-3way-lights.

There are variations to this depending on where the lights are and where the power is coming from.

/ 5 Switches to Control 3 Lights
The opposite. 3-ways on the ends and 4-ways in the middle. In your case, two 3-ways on the ends and three 4-ways in the middle. The supply (power) would go to the "beginning" 3-way and the "ending" 3-way would go to the lights. Power-3way-4way-4way-4way-3way-lights.

There are variations to this depending on where the lights are and where the power is coming from.

Thanks