50 HR Oil change

/ 50 HR Oil change #1  

Maury

Tractor
None-yet
I just completed the 50 hour service on my B7610. I changed the tranny oil, tight screen and all.
My problem is that my tranny fill stick says I'm over filled but I only put in about 3 gallons. I emptied the front tranny plug and opened three drain plugs in the rear end. I changed both filters, and including the oil I dumped from these it looks like I drained about 3 gallons in total. I thought this was supposed to hold 4 galons of trans fluid.
Should I drain out some of the excess oil?
What have I done wrong not to get in 4 gallons? At least the old oil looked and smelled clean.
Thanks in advance
Maury

/ 50 HR Oil change #2  
Have you run the tractor since the change?

/ 50 HR Oil change #3  
I completed the 50hr service on my B7610 about 5 weeks ago. I noticed that after draining the UDT from all 4 drain plugs and removing the filters, I only had about 3 gallons maybe 3.5 gallons of old oil as well. I refilled the tractor with an equal amount as had been removed so as not to over fill. I don't know why the entire 4.4 gallons didn't drain out.

Regards,
Duber

/ 50 HR Oil change #4  
It is next to impossible to get all the oil out, since you have no way to drain the oil that is circulating in the lines or the pistons. This is not anything to be concerned with. The system is a closed system and not subject to contamination like an engine. Also, once the weather turns hot and you start working the tractor, you might find that the thermal expansion of the oil will cause it to come out the vent. This is also a non event in my opinion. Better is should come out the vent, than to push out a seal. Your tractor is like your child, you do the best you know how for it, and hope for the best outcome when it gets old. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 50 HR Oil change #5  
There is no dought that your not going to get ALL the oil out. If you drained all the plugs and changed the filter than that is the best you can do. I would recommend running the tractor for a short time and checking the fluid level again. If it is overfilled I would say to drain some until you get it to the correct level. I don't know how much difference there is with a HST tractor tranny and an automotive automatic, but I have seen several autos go south because they were overfilled. It causes them to foam and it will eventually hurt internal parts. If its over, I'd find the easiest drain plug to get to and let some out until you get it to the right level.

Better safe than sorry!

/ 50 HR Oil change #6  
Some fill spec's are "wet", others are "dry". I suspect if Kubota calls for 4 gallons and most are only getting in 3+ the spec is a dry one. If you have the right level on the dip stick you are OK.