5020 split - what should be done? - need your opinion

/ 5020 split - what should be done? - need your opinion #1  

marcin

Bronze Member
Tractor
john deere 5205, 1968 john deere 5020
Hi all,

I have the 5020 split between clutch and transmission housing with the rockshaft housing off. My mechanic will be replacing the synchronizers and shifters and seals - had a lot of oil leakage. I also asked for him to rebuild the transmission pump. Is there anything else that I should ask him to check/do? I appreciate everyone's input, I would like to do everything that should be done in this area - so it does not need to be re-split here. Thank you>

/ 5020 split - what should be done? - need your opinion #2  
marcin
Would have been nice to keep all your posts about the 5020 in one thread, as it might help to answer your question "Is there anything else that I should ask him to check/do?". I can't add anything at this point.

Looks like you have been poking at several issues, and hope they are all coming together so you can wind up your 5020 project and move happily forward. Wish you well.

Pictures would be great.

/ 5020 split - what should be done? - need your opinion
beenthere,

Yes, you are correct. It would have been nice to have included all of my questions in one thread. Maybe I will start now.

I purchased the tractor on auction last summer, thinking that it would be a useful, cheap source of hp for some of the tasks I had planned on our farm: plowing, disking, shredding, maybe cutting and baling hay at some point. I am not a mechanic nor do I have significant "tractor experience". I try and learn quickly, enjoy listening to what others have to say and have an excellent local jd mechanic who has been invaluable.

From the beginning, there were issues: namely difficult starting. I checked the batteries, replaced the alternator and pulley, rebuilt the starter but none fixed the issue. I realized quickly that the engine had been worn out and had it overhauled (including flywheel and head machining) by a local jd mechanic. While the front of the tractor was split, I took the opportunity to do the following:
- got the radiator and oil cooler cleaned out
- bought a new water pump and pulley(I cracked the housing in the old one trying to press out the bearing)
- rebuilt leaking fuel lines, put in a new booster pump, put in new injectors and boots
- rebuilt the water manifold, replaced thermostats and water temp gauge
- replaced tachometer and cable
- welded the exhaust manifold, replaced the muffler
- rebuilt the seat suspension mechanism, replaced the seat
- my mechanic also rebuilt the hydraulic pump, replaced the clutch and throw-out bearing

At this point, the tractor appeared to be running really well but with the increased hyd pressure, everything started leaking oil - this bothered me. I proceeded to rebuild: all diff and brake lines, brake valve, diff valve, steering cylinders, tie-rod boots, break-away couplers. The biggest leak (maybe a bucket of oil a day or so) coming from the bottom cover in clutch housing persisted. In addition, the shifting was really difficult. I fixed the connecting rods and rebuilt the shifting mechanism, but this only helped with shifting into low-range gears. Also the 3-point hitch was either all the way at the top or bottom.

Currently the tractor is at the mechanics, split between transmission and clutch housing. The shifters, synchronizers and housing seals are being replaced. I also have been working on rebuilding the rockshaft valve. I have included some photos below. In the future, I will try and document with photos as I go. I appreciate everyone's input as to what else may need to be looked at.

at the start
thumb_IMG_1183_1024.jpg

after initial paint
thumb_IMG_1183_1024.jpg

after initial paint
thumb_IMG_1200_1024.jpg

engine overhaul
thumb_IMG_1435_1024.jpg

initial state of hydraulic pump
thumb_IMG_1442_1024.jpg

before and after of brake, diff lines and valves
thumb_IMG_1455_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_1489_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_1532_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_1533_1024.jpg

This is where we are right now. I also found the original ROPS and will be adding it on to put a canopy. Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

thumb_IMG_1554_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_1556_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_1557_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_1558_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_1559_1024.jpg