Buying Advice 5303 vs 3075e

/ 5303 vs 3075e #1  

budlite

Silver Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 75
5303 vs 5075e

I love my 2008 model 5303, but I have got to have a cab. Hearing loss is main issue, but summertime heat, humidity and bugs also factor in. Seems as though the 5075e is a newer version of the 5303, as far as size and HP are concerned.

When did the emission controls etc. start being required on tractors, and should I be concerned about it affecting either operating or maintaining?

Looked around a bit online for used 5303 with MFWD and under 1000 hours (700 on mine) and it seems it might be worth about $18-20K. Sound reasonable?

Last edited:
   / 5303 vs 3075e #2  
Re: 5303 vs 5075e

I love my 2008 model 5303, but I have got to have a cab. Hearing loss is main issue, but summertime heat, humidity and bugs also factor in. Seems as though the 5075e is a newer version of the 5303, as far as size and HP are concerned.

When did the emission controls etc. start being required on tractors, and should I be concerned about it affecting either operating or maintaining?

Looked around a bit online for used 5303 with MFWD and under 1000 hours (700 on mine) and it seems it might be worth about $18-20K. Sound reasonable?

The 5000 series utility tractors split up into multiple different lines around the time the 5000 Ten series ended. The 5310 spawned the US-made 5320 as the fancier version and the essentially the previous 5310 was made in India as the 5303. The 5003 series later became the 5D and 5E 3 cyl, and assembly moved back to the US around the time the 5Ds were discontinued. The wheelbases are the same between the 5303 and the current 5E 3 cyl, generally the same (newer) loaders fit on both units, the 9x3 TSS is the same transmission used in both models, and the current 5E 3 cyl engine is a common rail DPF-equipped version of the 5303's previously mechanically injected engine. The only real difference I see is the hood height is notably taller on the newer 5E 3 cyl units, particularly the 2wd versions. Your 5303 is somewhere between the 5055E and 5065E in power, the 5303 put out 56 PTO HP, the 5055E put out 51 HP and the 5065E put out 60. The 5075E is equivalent to the 5403 as they make within 1 PTO HP of each other in testing.

Off-road diesel engines had to conform with emissions regulations since the mid-1990s but nobody noticed until Tier III in 2012 for the >75 hp units and few noticed before 2014 with Tier IV for >25 hp units.

Tier III was really only notable as power outputs were down noticeably compared to prior years as injector timing generally had to be retarded to meet the specs. Engines that were previously naturally aspirated generally grew turbos and there was some griping that the Tier III turbo engines made no more or even less power than the Tier II naturally aspirated engine it replaced. Occasionally engines got replaced, Deere changed from the previous rotary pump injected 2.9 L three-cylinder they've used since the 1970s to their unit-injected five-cylinder 3.0 L skid loader engine in the 5225 and 5325 tractors, ostensibly due to emissions regs. Tier IV emissions regs are the ones that most people refer to as they led to EGR, catalytic converters, and/or particulate filters on 25-74 hp tractors and all of that plus urea injection on 75+ hp tractors. I've only really used pre-Tier IV units so I can't say much about Tier IV emissions. From what I have heard/read, repeatedly overriding the DPF regeneration process on a Tier IV unit will cause problems. There also were a few inherently flawed designs such as Kubota's B3350 DPF setup that caused all sorts of trouble. I haven't heard of any issues specifically with Deere's products. I also can't say how many problems people who do follow the instructions properly regarding the regeneration process have with the emissions systems, other than it is "less" and that Deere has not notably changed the setup on these tractors since they first added the Tier IV emissions equipment.

/ 5303 vs 3075e #3  
If you get a tier 4 machine, raise your fuel quality awareness. No heating oil, kerosene or old tank leavings. The EPA's renewable fuel standard is introducing bio fuel to diesel too. Sulfur and dirt will cost you in service much more than it saved in fuel. The emission requirements involved a much more complex engine control. Thus high pressure common rail injectors, DPF, DEF, oil coolers, and turbos. The many sensors, connections, and controllers add more points of failure. And that's the way it is since 2015 and the EPA

/ 5303 vs 3075e #4  
If you get a tier 4 machine, raise your fuel quality awareness. No heating oil, kerosene or old tank leavings. The EPA's renewable fuel standard is introducing bio fuel to diesel too. Sulfur and dirt will cost you in service much more than it saved in fuel. The emission requirements involved a much more complex engine control. Thus high pressure common rail injectors, DPF, DEF, oil coolers, and turbos. The many sensors, connections, and controllers add more points of failure. And that's the way it is since 2015 and the EPA

It was 2014 when Tier IV was mandated. DEF is only required on 75+ hp machines. The >25 hp engines typically are common rail designs with much higher injection pressures, and are more sensitive to dirt in the fuel than the older designs, and yes, damaging them will be more expensive than damaging an older mechanically-injected diesel's fuel system. Burning dirty/suspect fuel was never a great idea unless it was in a salamander to heat your barn as damaging a newer engine vs. an older one simply went from "very expensive" to "very, very expensive."