5410 MFWD spherical bearings

/ 5410 MFWD spherical bearings #1  

Harry in Ky

Veteran Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers ED 40
Once again I find myself in the "I've never done that on this model before" situation. I'm about to get off into repairing some oil leaks on the front axle, and noticed today that it's not just seals leaking oil from the center housing into the open knuckle area, but the spindle housings are pretty sloppy on the trunnion bearings. I guess I need to address that in the process. The thing is, they are spherical bearings, (number 23 on the diagram below) and I don't recall having dealt with them in this location. I'm much more familiar with the standard cup and cone tapered roller bearings with shims adjustments top and bottom. This shows no such shims. So there is no adjustment? If they're still too loose after bearings are replaced, then what? They stay that way?

I was sure I had a downloaded manual on the 53 5410 models, but after major searching I find that I don't. I'm wondering if anyone has been through this on any models that use this type bearing here, and would care to share some experiences.

/ 5410 MFWD spherical bearings #2  
Looks like preload on the assembly is provided by the Belleville washer parts 22 and 27. For those who haven't come across these, Belleville washers are domed spring steel washers that put tension on an assembly

Last edited:
   / 5410 MFWD spherical bearings
That's stated in the manual, or just a guess? If that's all there is and it's sloppy loose, then something's wore out.

/ 5410 MFWD spherical bearings #4  
That's stated in the manual, or just a guess? If that's all there is and it's sloppy loose, then something's wore out.
I don't have a manual for that model but putting tension on assemblies are what Bellevilles are designed for

/ 5410 MFWD spherical bearings #5  

Like any other spring they can break/weaken/etc. I would replace them with the bearings as a matter of course.

/ 5410 MFWD spherical bearings
I think I can agree with that. I won't know the condition of any of it until I get it apart, but since that's all the parts list shows, It makes sense that it must be pretty much self adjusting. I can't imagine there being this much slop back when everything was still in good shape.