5500 vs 5520

/ 5500 vs 5520 #1  

cvray

Looks like the major difference is a more comfortable operator compartment along with a few performance enhancements. One thing I noticed on 4wd industrial tire the 5520 has a taller rear tire and a smaller front tire. I am looking to get the 5520 but like the tire configuration on the 5500/5530. I am hilly with some potentially dangerous slopes and need as much stability as possible. That is why I am going with the Mahindra in the first place..extra wide and heavy..along with the price. If anyone, knows can I get the tire config from the 5500 on the 5520 and do you agree that it should help stability having front and rear tires closer in size.
Thanks
CRay
Bath Springs Tennessee

/ 5500 vs 5520 #2  
cvray said:
Looks like the major difference is a more comfortable operator compartment along with a few performance enhancements. One thing I noticed on 4wd industrial tire the 5520 has a taller rear tire and a smaller front tire. I am looking to get the 5520 but like the tire configuration on the 5500/5530. I am hilly with some potentially dangerous slopes and need as much stability as possible. That is why I am going with the Mahindra in the first place..extra wide and heavy..along with the price. If anyone, knows can I get the tire config from the 5500 on the 5520 and do you agree that it should help stability having front and rear tires closer in size.
Thanks
CRay
Bath Springs Tennessee

Looking at Mahindra's site I can see the tire size difference you are talking about. I would say the quick answer about getting 9.5X24's for the front of the 5520 is no. The rear tires are the same as what is on the 5500 and 5530, that leads me to believe the reason for the different tire size on the front has to do with axle ratios. So the tires are matche to the ratios and changing the front tires to a larger size would also require resize the rears.

If stability is what you are looking for I woud go with the R1 AG tires. The reason for this is that the rims are adjustable. I believe that with the Industrial tires you cannot widen out the rims for a wider stance.

/ 5500 vs 5520
Thanks, that makes sense..the reason I was looking at the industrial tires over tha AG is the wider footprint of the tire itself. I havent seen the deck on the 5530, but the 5500 was out of the question with the gears between the legs etc. I hear they have opened up the 5530 some. I really like the feel of the 5520 and it is actually heavier as well. I am over 6' and 250 lbs and will be off and on as I dont have any pasture type areas that will keep me stationary for long periods of time so the open deck is really nice. The only thing that would keep me out of the 5520 4wd at this point is the smaller front tire..maybe I am splitting hairs. I have the terrain that could flip any tractor but wouldnt put myself anywhere near that position.

/ 5500 vs 5520 #4  
cvray said:
Thanks, that makes sense..the reason I was looking at the industrial tires over tha AG is the wider footprint of the tire itself. I havent seen the deck on the 5530, but the 5500 was out of the question with the gears between the legs etc. I hear they have opened up the 5530 some. I really like the feel of the 5520 and it is actually heavier as well. I am over 6' and 250 lbs and will be off and on as I dont have any pasture type areas that will keep me stationary for long periods of time so the open deck is really nice. The only thing that would keep me out of the 5520 4wd at this point is the smaller front tire..maybe I am splitting hairs. I have the terrain that could flip any tractor but wouldnt put myself anywhere near that position.

The 5530 has an open platform like the 5520. That was the main difference between the 5500 and the 5530. I have the 4530 and a friend of mine has been on and off my tractor a bit. He is about 6'-4 and doesn't have a problem.
That being said the differences between the 5530 and the 5520. The 5520 has a slightly larger engine and 12 foward/12 reverse speeds vs the 5530 with 8 foward/8 reverse . I believe the rest of the main differences are cosmetic. 5530 flat hood vs 5520 sloped hood.

I think the choice is what best fits your needs. Go down to a dealer and give them both a spin, or maybe they will let you try them out at your place. I doo think that you would be better off with the R1's for the type of terrain you are talking about. I believe that you can adjust the rear wheels out almost a foot wider and by looking at the pictures of them the fronts probablly can be pushed out that far too. Again I would talk to the dealer to find out exactly how far the can be pushed out.

/ 5500 vs 5520 #5  
Stick with the 5520 I know you can set the wheels out, the platform is much more comfortable.

/ 5500 vs 5520 #6  
cvray said:

First thing that comes to mind when reading this is to have all your tires filled, makes the tractor way more stable. If you are up to an experiment, then use the tractor for awhile before you get the tires filled, then fill the tires. The difference is literally unbelievable.:D As far as stability is concerned, I don't think that the width of the tire has anywhere as much to do with that as does the total outside width. So check with your dealer about all the outside dimensions available, should be in the owners manual. On the 7520, widest setting with ag tires is 75.4" centerline and the industrials are 78" outside width I believe. Also need to keep in mind that ag tires are usually taller which equals less stability, but ags have about 30% more tread area, so they will have better traction. Industrials usually have better puncture resistance if that is a concern. Many, many things to consider, but by far one of the best things to do is to set your butt in the seat and get a feel of the layout and see what you can and cannot see.

Just some friendly advice from a guy that really lucked out.;)

Just looked again, 16" total width adjustment on the 7520 with ags.

Last edited:
   / 5500 vs 5520 #7  
Cvray,
There is another difference. The 5520's 3PH lifts 5100 pounds. The 5500 only 3968 pounds. The loader's lift is only 50 pounds different. The operating weight is about 200 pounds heavier in the 5520. The transmission has a major difference in 12 gears while the 5500 only has 8 gears. This is the big difference in working speeds and I love it on my 6520.:D Oh yeah, the tilt steering on the 20 series is awesome while standing up and mowing. The 3PH has sliding lower bars to make hookups easier. I would have to say there is a big difference.:)
Whatever you buy, get the skid steer quick attach loader bucket option.
hugs, Brandi