59 inch snowblower on a jd2720

/ 59 inch snowblower on a jd2720 #1  

logankelly

Bronze Member
Tractor
jd2520
would it be possible to put a 59 inch front snow blower on a 2720 using a little fabrication or would this just be a nightmare

/ 59 inch snowblower on a jd2720 #2  
ALl I know is that I naively purchased a second hand 59 inch for my 955. I had to put over $1000 more Deere parts into it before it operated. At the minimum, you 2720 would have to have a mid (forward facing )PTO connection to drive the blower which is front mounted. That is achieved by a long (about 4 feet) PTO shaft and a short shaft, which connect under the front wheels via a transverse case on the 955. (That's where my $1000 went). So I would say that there maybe little fabrication, but probably serious $$ ...except that Deere probably doesn't have any parts either to do what you are describing, so you would need to buy AND modify.

/ 59 inch snowblower on a jd2720 #3  
I just watched a you tube on a 2520 with a snow blower last night. john deere 2520 snowblower - YouTube. I'm not sure but I think they are using a 54" blower by the look of things. If you have fabrication skills then you could probably make it work. Make sure you measure and check things out before you buy. There are two different gearboxes for 59's. One rotates cw and the other ccw. I'm at $2600 CAD ($2350 or so USD) to put a pieced together 59 snow blower blower kit on my 4410. I could have been about $300 cheaper but I had a drive shaft made with a sheer bolt in it just for protection. I haven't tried it out yet. Waiting for snow. :(

/ 59 inch snowblower on a jd2720 #4  
A couple of points to consider. Unless you have a hydraulic chute adjustment, jumping off the tractor to re-aim will get tired pretty quick. Unless you buy / make a cab enclosure whether front or rear mount the snow is going to blow in your face sooner or later. I clear about 15,000 sqft and with eHydro it's not all that difficult to swivel in the seat and drive backwards.

A rear mount SB will likely be a lot less expensive and allow the FEL to stay mounted ready for use when needed. A rear 3rd SCV would be helpful for chute rotation. Power wise you should be OK with 60" blower.

/ 59 inch snowblower on a jd2720 #5  
I just watched a you tube on a 2520 with a snow blower last night. john deere 2520 snowblower - YouTube. I'm not sure but I think they are using a 54" blower by the look of things. If you have fabrication skills then you could probably make it work. Make sure you measure and check things out before you buy. There are two different gearboxes for 59's. One rotates cw and the other ccw. I'm at $2600 CAD ($2350 or so USD) to put a pieced together 59 snow blower blower kit on my 4410. I could have been about $300 cheaper but I had a drive shaft made with a sheer bolt in it just for protection. I haven't tried it out yet. Waiting for snow. :(

There is a big difference in the front frame of a 2520 and 4410. That 59 blower you have was made to fit up to a 4410. the mounting back then was quite
a bit different than it is today with the front 3ph on the 3020 tractors.
I ran into that gearbox issue putting a 47" 2 stage front mount mower
series onto a 4310 tractor, we had to reverse the gearbox for it to work, but the fitup was the same as the 59. (again, this is the 47 2 stage blower from
the front mount mower series, 1445/1545 ). it's a much beefier blower than the quick hitch blower.

/ 59 inch snowblower on a jd2720 #6  
I realize the differences and debated making a three point hitch for my 4410 so that I could use the 3020 series 59 snow blower mounting system. I decided it was too much work for what I would gain. I have full intentions of changing my mount around this summer. It's going to get redesigned so that I can keep my grill guard on and install and remove the mount quickly and still use the loader if I want without taking the mount off. I'm thinking if logankelly used the factory quick hitch to mount to the 2520 and then adapted the 59 at the blower where the 3020 series tractors front 3 point hitch hooks up he should be able to make it work by fabricating an adapter between the two. He might need to make the drive shaft longer.