5hp Briggs peoblem

/ 5hp Briggs peoblem #11  
The brass pickup tube that goes to the bottom of the tank has a flat screen on the end. Inside this screen is a little check valve that works with a small diaphragm fuel pump in the carb to suck up fuel to the little float bowl at the top of the tank where the carb bolts on. This little check valve occasionally gets stuck and won't open to let the gas up the tube. When you cleaned the filter you probably "unstuck" the check valve. BTW, I haven't found any reasonable way to disassemble this thing and sometimes unsticking the valve is difficult.
Usually, if this is the problem, the engine will run if you completely fill the tank. It'll run until the fuel level drops below the float level. If the tank is nearly full it will sometimes run if gas has sloshed up into the float bowl.

/ 5hp Briggs peoblem
Harry c said:
The brass pickup tube that goes to the bottom of the tank has a flat screen on the end. Inside this screen is a little check valve that works with a small diaphragm fuel pump in the carb to suck up fuel to the little float bowl at the top of the tank where the carb bolts on. This little check valve occasionally gets stuck and won't open to let the gas up the tube. When you cleaned the filter you probably "unstuck" the check valve. BTW, I haven't found any reasonable way to disassemble this thing and sometimes unsticking the valve is difficult.
Usually, if this is the problem, the engine will run if you completely fill the tank. It'll run until the fuel level drops below the float level. If the tank is nearly full it will sometimes run if gas has sloshed up into the float bowl.

That makes perfect sense Harry. I had the tank completly full at one point ( and i mentioned earlier in this thread that I was seeing Alot of gas up in the carb ).. When i took the tank and carb off I could see the floatbowl inside the tank and you are right about it being tough to get the strainer off the bottom of the gas tube. I had the side off the carb and I put air to the strainer ... that seem to clear things out pretty good. Before I did all this it was a Mean running machine :mad:

Thanks for your input

Bob

/ 5hp Briggs peoblem
mwb said:
the sponge thing is to reduce sloshing (sp?) in the tank; i think it is only important for rough applications like a tiller bouncing around. for a splitter it should be fine without it. I would put it back in, it will not cause you any trouble. I assume you can cram it back in through the fill cap - if you have to disassemble it again then i would leave it out.

Mike

I will cram it all back in the tank. :D I ran the splitter for a few hrs this morning and it ran real good. Better than it had been for the last few weeks .... that strainer has been gradually clogging up. Thanks again for all yer help

Bob

/ 5hp Briggs peoblem #14  
You may want to run a little carb cleaner next time you fill the tank.

/ 5hp Briggs peoblem
dqdave1 said:
You may want to run a little carb cleaner next time you fill the tank.
Thanks Dave. That sounds like a real good idea.

bob