5x10 landscape trailer ramp size

/ 5x10 landscape trailer ramp size #1  

lostcause

Platinum Member
i'm planning on building a trailer pretty much the same as your average 5x10 trailer with a 5'x4' expanded metal fold down ramp. i'm just wondering how everyone's ramps are working out as far as bending, and what size/type of material is it?

i haven't looked at any commercially made trailers yet, but from the looks of it, they appear to be 1-1/2x1-1/2x3/16 angles for 4 foot long ramps. i've just picked up a used gator, and at about 1300 lbs, i'm wondering how ramps that size will hold up to something that size. i'm hoping to build the trailer sized to that it just barely fits the gator inside, but light enough so that when i get to the destination, i can hook the trailer behind the gator to haul materials.

/ 5x10 landscape trailer ramp size #2  
I built a ramp last year for my neighbor who runs a commercial mowing operation. We put it on a 16' tandem axle landscape trailer. I built it just as you stated using expanded metal and 1.5"x1.5"x3/16" thick angle 12" on center. He runs Ferris 3100 mowers that weigh 1,600# each. They are up and down this trailer many times a day with no issues.

His brother actually drove a small car like a Cavalier up it by placing 2x8s on it. I advised against it but it held up.

Chris

/ 5x10 landscape trailer ramp size
I built a ramp last year for my neighbor who runs a commercial mowing operation. We put it on a 16' tandem axle landscape trailer. I built it just as you stated using expanded metal and 1.5"x1.5"x3/16" thick angle 12" on center. He runs Ferris 3100 mowers that weigh 1,600# each. They are up and down this trailer many times a day with no issues.

His brother actually drove a small car like a Cavalier up it by placing 2x8s on it. I advised against it but it held up.

Chris

good deal. i was hoping / assuming that would work. i've got a bunch of 1-1/2x1-1/2x3/16 and 2x2x3/16 angle on the racks. i'm going to build something about like this. maybe a few size and design changes. just need to pick up some 3x2x3/16 or c3x4.1 for the main frame rails & tongue... and some wheels & tires, and fenders, and an axle :D

http://www.allprowest.com/files/Carry_On_5x10_Utility_Trailer_Low_Sides_6.pdf

/ 5x10 landscape trailer ramp size #4  
That is a very handy size trailer and I know you may want to tow it with your little Gator but I would consider going to 6'4" wide. Your Gator will still tow it fine but will be a little more tricky in the trails. The reason being if you ever get a ZTR most good units are 65" wide. This will leave you a few inches on each side to get it on the trailer.

We sold a lot of these 5' wide trailers like you are looking at and good for me many customers came back for another trailer in 2-3 years for something wider. They nearly had to give away the 5' wide trailer because there is not much of a market for them around here. Just guys with quads and motorcycles.

Chris

/ 5x10 landscape trailer ramp size #5  
That is a very handy size trailer and I know you may want to tow it with your little Gator but I would consider going to 6'4" wide. Your Gator will still tow it fine but will be a little more tricky in the trails. The reason being if you ever get a ZTR most good units are 65" wide. This will leave you a few inches on each side to get it on the trailer.

We sold a lot of these 5' wide trailers like you are looking at and good for me many customers came back for another trailer in 2-3 years for something wider. They nearly had to give away the 5' wide trailer because there is not much of a market for them around here. Just guys with quads and motorcycles.

Chris
I,d agree 100% with Chris and would add that a removable ramp is nice to have.I once hauled my farmall cub several hundred miles and my mileage empty was nearly the same with or without the tractor.The wind load was high on that ramp so it would have been nice to take it off and just lay it on the floor of the trailer rather than have it sticking so high up:DDave

/ 5x10 landscape trailer ramp size #6  
You are right about the gates causing drag. My uncle bought two identical trailers and pulled them with two identical F-150's. The one with the gate could make to from Columbus OH to Indianapolis IN and the other one without the gate could make it all the way to the Indiana Illinois state line. He does this trip 2-3 times a week so it made a difference for him but someone like a commercial mower who is on and off the trailer 3-4 times a day they sure are handy.

Chris

/ 5x10 landscape trailer ramp size
good points guys.

i'm going to be getting all my hardware (torsion axle, tires, coupler, etc.) from a connection i have that works for a wholesale distributor, so my first plan is to get a rough idea on what side i want, then see what width axles they carry, and adjust as needed from there. i can probably save nearly $100 on the axle alone by getting it from that place, so i'm willing to adjust my size a little as needed to fit what they sell.

i currently have a jd345 and i'm going to make sure it will fit that deck, but that's a good point about a ztr. i'll check newer mid mount and ztr's and see what i'd likely be having on the next deck. i'll probably make it as tight as possible though, because one of the uses will be behind the gator for hauling building materials. the problem is, the entire area is a spread out subdivision connected by carriage trails. i need to keep the width to a minimum so when i meet another machine of my size we can safely fit. the only vehicles allowed there are golf carts and utvs.

in the past i have used 1" pipe for ramp pins and 1-1/4" pipe sleeves to pivot in. i'll probably do something like this too. i'd never make it so that it didn't come off fast and easy. the first time you do that, you're guaranteed to haul something longer than the trailer length. i'm familiar with the fuel economy issue too. if i haul my snowmobile trailer empty but with the snow shield, it's like carrying an extra ton or more.