Mowing 60 inch deck seals

/ 60 inch deck seals #1  

radioman

Tractor
Kubota BX24
If you guys could take a look at the picture I just scanned from my "rotary mower" owners manual for the 60 inch deck at line number 10. It says gearbox oil seal change.It should be changed every 2 years but I don't see anyone replacing them on their decks here at TBN. I emailed messicks and got a diagram of the gearbox. I am thinking, its about 15 bucks, and there seems to be 2 different oil seals on the gear box. price is not too bad, but have ANYONE replaced theirs yet and how long did you go before replacement? If you did replace it, did you replace it because it was leaking or just because the book says so ?

Attachments

• mower mantaince.jpg
    mower mantaince.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 296
   / 60 inch deck seals #2  
Replacing an oil seal on scheduled maintenance? Seems odd to me:confused2:

/ 60 inch deck seals #3  
Wait until it starts slinging oil before you replace it. They can't be that hard to replace.

Although if you can see the seal and keep a visual on it that would be the best PM measure you could do. All I can think is it must be in a location where it is somewhat unprotected and will get covered in grass, dirt and stuff.

Craig

/ 60 inch deck seals #4  
The gearbox seal on my Ford mower is probably going on 50 years old and still doesn't leak. A seal that needs to be replaced after 2 years must have some inherent flaw in the design. The worst that could happen is that it will start leaking, then you can change it.

/ 60 inch deck seals
so far the replies tells me the same thing, There is really no need to replace the seals- but then isn't the owner's manual the bible to go by ?

I also thought it was a bit odd to have seals needing replacement every 2 years as part of PM.

So far it hasn't leaked for 3 years. perhaps I should go ahead and buy the seals to beat murphy's law ?

/ 60 inch deck seals #6  
I am guessing but I suspect kubota is going on the worst case that the mower will be left outside with grass piled on top and maybe even a plastic twine rapped around the shaft. But of course no one will change it unless it leaks. And leaks can go both directions. Water can pass the seal and enter the gear box too without it leaking oil. So if you leave your mower out in the weather you may want to change the seal as suggested.:thumbsup:

/ 60 inch deck seals #7  
Some of the Kubota BX tractors also have a schedule for replacing the hydraulic steering hoses.

David Kb7uns

/ 60 inch deck seals
that kinda makes you wonder who writes those manuals. :thumbdown:

/ 60 inch deck seals #9  
Well on the earlier BX tractors mostly the BX2200 vintage the hoses are starting to go, not sure bad design or faulty hoses.

David Kb7uns