600 Ford Steering

/ 600 Ford Steering #1  

redlevel

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 4800
I read the thread on the steering box repair for the Jubilee. I am assuming that the information should be just about identical for my 600. What I want to know is if there is a source where I can buy a reconditioned steering box complete. It sounds like it is going to take about as much time to get to the box as it is to actually repair it. I plan to keep the tractor (has been in wife's family about 48 years). Instead of just replacing the bearing, as outlined in the other thread, I would rather go ahead and replace the whole stinking thing while I'm at it. After all, there are probably other parts nearing the failure point. Does anyone sell complete steering boxes, or am I going to have to order parts and rebuild it myself?

/ 600 Ford Steering #2  
You can get the box as an assembly from places like Wengers of PA ( they part out thousands of tractors and heavy equipment ). Also.. lots of the online ford parts places -may- have boxes.. For used.. I'd try
www.8nford.com - John Smith.. nice guy.. I've bought lotsa used parts from him.

www.just8ns.com - The Barkley's I've bought new and used parts.. just call them.. make sure you are both on the same 'page' and know what you are ordering. One of their employees isn't up to speed.

Now, that said.. there is no reason to get the whole box if you don't need it. The box consists of a ballnut and worm shaft assembly, R & L sector gears and sector arms, R & L sector seals and bushings , steering box cover and tube assembly, bearing for top of tube assembly, top and bottom bearings and races, and a welsch plug that retains the lower race.

unless your steering box is cracked, or your sectors or ballnut/wormshaft are bad.. Usually it just needs seals, and bearings.

Functionally, the 6xx box is similar to the jubilee box and the 8n box.. though the ballnut shafts and box cover/tube are slightly different geometry.

Not at all hard to rebuild.. I've been into my 8n twice.. a couple years apart...once for a broke wormshaft, and once to replace the topcover/tube and bearings.

First time was a tad slow.. took a day to tear down, and a day to rebuild and reassemble tractor... 2nd time did it all in a day.

Getting TO the box is 60% of the time.

Soundguy

/ 600 Ford Steering
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

Getting TO the box is 60% of the time.

Soundguy )</font>

Thanks, Soundguy. That is why I would rather repair/replace most everything at once. I don't want to have to go through the teardown process again in a year or two

/ 600 Ford Steering #4  
Believe me. once you pull it to do bearings.. you will know if the sector gears need to be replaced. Though,, usually they wear pretty good. One other good point is thay are adjustable.. quite a bit in fact. there will be a stud on either side of the box, and it controlls gear backlash... I've seen quite a few 9n/2n sectros wear out, and even a few early 8n sectors wear out.. rearely have i ever seen the late 8n, NAA, hundred sectros wear beyond adjustment.

Try adjusting the box to see how it is going to be before you order parts.

Soundguy