Oil & Fuel 6284 Engine Oil

/ 6284 Engine Oil #1  

gfreek

Service manual says engine takes 5 qts, but the dipstick shows full at 3 qt. & I drained 3 qts. Anyone know what the deal is on this? Engine is a 28 hp Cat/ Perkins.

/ 6284 Engine Oil #2  
Probably a dumb question but did you start it to fill the filter?

/ 6284 Engine Oil
Yup , actually I put 4 qts in & new filter , started it, shut it down and then checked it, and it was over, so I measured what I drained, 3 qt's.

/ 6284 Engine Oil #4  
I ran into the same problem. On page 26 of the manual under Lubrication Table it lists the engine oil capacity as approx 5 qts w/filter. When I changed my oil and filter I put in 5 qts of fresh oil, started the engine for a few moments, shut it off, and checked the oil level on the dipstick. The dipstick showed that the oil was considerably over the full mark. So I went searching in the manual and found the following on page 45 of the manual under Specifications - engine case capacity (with filter) it lists minimum 3.6 qts (3.4 L) to maximum 5.2 qts (4.9 L).

Either the manual is not correct when it says 5 qts or the wrong dipstick is in the engine. The manual warns against overfilling so I drained out about 3/4 qt of oil to bring the level on the dipstick to the full mark. Judging from the physical size and appearance of the oil pan I think that around a 4 qt capacity seems more believable than 5 qts so from now on I plan to fill the engine with 3 qts and then check the dipstick and add until it shows at the full mark.

If would be nice if someone could clarify this since I don't want to either run the engine too full or low on oil.

JN

Last edited:
   / 6284 Engine Oil #5  
I have a 2006 6284 and looked at a parts cross reference list and for the oil filter 150-4140 that is on my tractor it stated that a Fram PH-16 could be used. Wrong. The PH-16 is to big on the outside diameter. Can anyone tell me if there is an aftermarket oil filter for my Cat engine that I can maybe get locally at Wally World or an auto parts store?