6500 not starting

/ 6500 not starting #1  

Tim_in_IA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610HSD, Mahindra 6500 4WD, JD 440ic crawler, 2 560 farmalls.
Mahindra friends it has been a long time since I posted here. Sorry for the absence. My current dilemma is that I was working on a hillside and I thought I ran out of fuel. I put some diesel in and used the primer pump to pull it through. The tractor turns over but does not start. The turnover seems faster than normal but I confirmed that the starter is engaging the flywheel by running hydraulics etc and noticing a definite slow down. I have loosened bolts along the way near the injector and fuel comes out and I can hear it returning to the tank through the overflow so I am thinking my problem is maybe electrical now. Could it be the timer relay? I have the owners and service manual out and they really aren't giving me a lot of info on this issue. To make matters worse I am working on it knee deep in multaflora rose and on a hillside. I tried pulling it up with my truck but the beast is too heavy and I just spin out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

/ 6500 not starting #2  
Sorry to hear about the 6500...just a wild guess, but have you checked the fuel shut-off (ie. when you shut the engine down..). Check the connection to the pump and see if its loose or disconnected... right now, that's one thing. Your 6500 is direct inject...could your pump have skipped timing??/ I've seen a diesel that turns over, smoke comes out the stack, but won't fire...just sayin'..good luck and let us know how it comes out. BobG in VA

/ 6500 not starting
Thanks Bob. I don't get any smoke. I don't know where the shutoff is. There is a moving part on the injector that has a hole that looks like it should connect to something. Right now the only physical connections to the injector are from the 2 throttle controls. I suspected electrical because normally I see a voltage drop on the gauge while the glow plug timer is on and I'm not seeing any change after the glow plug light goes off. I would think that it might try to start without the glow plugs though and it was fairly warm yesterday. I'll do some more checking in the manuals and see if I can figure out something. part of me was concerned that maybe the injector was damaged but I don't know how to test it really. I can just verify that fuel is going to it. there is a small sensor with a bleeder bolt on it that i also verified has fuel and it has a small wire connecting to the main body of the injector. Is that the shut off? The manual illustrations are not that great for this area. I'll take a picture when I am out there later today.

/ 6500 not starting
I just found an injector pump section in a special engine manual in my service manual that helped me identify all the parts.

/ 6500 not starting
I think I'm understanding now that there aren't glow plugs but just an intake air heater element. Going back out with an electrical tester and some replacement fuses. Those stock fuses are hard to see if they are good or not.

/ 6500 not starting #6  
"the only physical connections to the injector are from the 2 throttle controls." I'm assuming you mean the hand and foot throttle...when you shut the engine down, there is a pull-out right next to your key (should be anyway)... THAT'S the connection you need to follow..ie. once you shut it down it may have disconnected that pull out lever from the pump unit. And yes, there are no glow plugs, but an intake air heater. A few seconds (maybe 7 or so) after your heater light goes out (the one next to your key), you should hear an audible "click" and see the volt gauge jump up a tad...anyhow, good luck. BobG in VA

PS: I would have thought Dave would have jumped in by now...

/ 6500 not starting
I got her running. I had to bleed it out to the injectors. Running like a champ now!

/ 6500 not starting
Interesting I don't have a pull out on mine.

/ 6500 not starting #9  
Interesting I don't have a pull out on mine.
Hmmmm....what year is your 6500...my 6000 is an '02..pretty much everything on it is mechanical...I like that a LOT!...only solinoid on the tractor is on the starter...how does your fuel shut off work...is it electronic? BobG in VA

/ 6500 not starting
Yeah when I was troubleshooting the injector it appears the shutoff is electric and it is on the injector output side if that makes sense? It was a good experience for me to learn more about the machine at least.