6ft Rotory Tiller not getting job done

/ 6ft Rotory Tiller not getting job done #91  
IMO 6" tillers and 48hp are not compatible. I have 70PTO hp and a 5' Howard when used renovate some fields that were starting to grow willow it was 110% of what the tractor was capable of. Plow it first if you can or be pre pared to go over it 6+ times
I've always used a tiller that would cover all of the tractor tracks. Your setup will not till up your tractor tracks.

/ 6ft Rotory Tiller not getting job done #92  
I am in the opinion of moldboard plowing your area before tilling I am sure it can be done without plowing but not in every soil type, I think tilling without plowing in most cases is a good way to beat up your equipment's you don't know what you are going to hit, but good if you can get away with it.

Are we playing who as the most experience ??

/ 6ft Rotory Tiller not getting job done #93  
I have 30hp at the PTO, on 6. Not an issue if you rip the grass with a subsoiler first. The Hydro lets you creep along at about 1km/h so its done in one pass to full depth.

I think the biggest mistake with a rototiller is just trying to go too fast.
Must be different/much much more sandy ground that what I have here. Lowest gear is the lowest gear....can't go any slower than that

/ 6ft Rotory Tiller not getting job done #94  
You don't have the same soil type I do, that's obvious. Or the same tiller. My tiller has shoes on either side to set the digging depth. Maximum is about 3-4 inches. If I were foolish enough to take them off, then the side gearbox would give me maybe another inch before bottoming out.

I'm fine with that. Digging down an acre about four inches in one pass with a tiller would take 2-3 days on my soils. But I don't need my tiller to go that deep - that's why I still own my grandfather's 2-bottom plow and tractor.
The pict. I posted wasn't from my farm, so how do you know what soil I have?

Two of my Howards also have "shoes" on either side, the third has wheels. I have all of them set to till as deep as they will allow, and that's 7 to 8" deep.

I wouldn't want to till less deep, as all I'd do is get complaints from my customers, as most got rid of their plows ect. once they saw how well my tillers work their soil.

All of the fields I till are 20 acres or less, so a tiller is a good match for these smaller fields.

SR

/ 6ft Rotory Tiller not getting job done #95  
IMO Rotary-Tillers are and always have been a very poor soil-prep device that should have gone away years ago. They kill your worm bed and chop the soil into too fine of a consistency. My home-garden plot, (apx 40 feet by 60 feet), gets moldboard/bottom-plowed every three or four years just to turn it. Every Fall I rip it once and and Spring I hit it several passes with a chisel plow: (Fred Cain 13 shank Cultivator/Ripper/Tillage Tool, what ever you want to call it...) and that's it. It's the ticket for the proper consistency, moisture retention, and erosion control.

I also no-till/drill soybeans on several hundred acres that haven't been plowed for decades. I'm in rocky clay-ish soil in the Appalachian foothills of NC.