Mowing 7-Iron Deck Spindles

/ 7-Iron Deck Spindles #1  

jjhoyt

Tractor
JD X740
I have a 2008 X740 with a 60" 7-Iron deck, and I wonder if anyone has had the same concerns about the 7-Iron that I have. The problem is that each spindle contains six small wells or depressions on the surface that do not self-drain. They collect dirt, gravel, and water and are very difficult to clean out. I found it necessary to remove the deck and lift it to a vertical position to clean them, which is very inconvenient. While attached to the tractor, vacuuming or blowing out the dirt and water does not work well. This makes cleaning the deck while it is attached to the tractor very difficult. Other JD decks I have owned are designed to allow their spindles to self-drain through small openings in the deck, so accumulation of dirt and stagnant water is not a problem, but not so with this 7-Iron. I am surprised by this apparent design flaw given that it is a top-of-the-line deck.

/ 7-Iron Deck Spindles #2  
Welcome to TBN.
I don't see it as a design flaw, but you see it as in inconvenience.
I don't have that deck, but I get my decks cleaned up after each mowing using just air pressure and blowing the deck clean, including any depressions.
But you can drill some holes in your deck to drain water.

/ 7-Iron Deck Spindles #3  
How about a filler in each depression so they are no longer depressions. Putty, JB Weld, anchoring cement, etc.

Bruce

/ 7-Iron Deck Spindles #4  
I feel the same as the first to posters. If Deere did not do it right modify the deck to your way of thinking. Shoot some holes where water might collect and fill the dimples with silicone,bondo, or whatever. It is yours so make it last.

/ 7-Iron Deck Spindles
Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. The deck weighs about 300 lbs, so not having to remove it and lift it often is an advantage. It seems it would be best to drill small holes at the bottom of each depression, but the depressions are in the spindle body itself. I would need to find a schematic of the spindle to make sure I would not be opening it up to contaminants. I thought previously about using some kind of filler to close the depressions, but I am a little worried that might interfere with the cooling of the spindles during operation. The depressions are pretty large - each one roughly two inches deep by two inches wide.

/ 7-Iron Deck Spindles #6  
I have several JD decks, some of them 7 Iron's for their commercial ZTR's. DO NOT fill the voids, nor drill them.

I have never had any problem keeping the voids you are talking about clean and free of debris. I simply use my back pack blower on the machine after every cut ( I cut for a living, so keeping them clean is important to me). I raise the floor pan and blow down in around the center spindle and in around both outer spindles from the sides. I know your center spindle is under the tractor, but I also do the same thing to the deck under my CUT and my garden tractor. The BP puts out a lot of air at high speed so it works great, but you can also use an extended wand on your air hose and do a good job on all three as well. Been there, done that too.:)

/ 7-Iron Deck Spindles #7  
but you can also use an extended wand on your air hose and do a good job on all three as well. Been there, done that too.

Done that too... after every mowing, and seldom wash the deck down.

/ 7-Iron Deck Spindles #8  
Duplicate post