72 john deere 820 3 cyl

/ 72 john deere 820 3 cyl #1  

jww1960

Tractor
john deere 820
tractor sat 10 yrs. changed all fluids, filters, lubricants, new batter she fired right up..12 hours later she went sluggish and quit, sit 5 min it will start run 10 seconds and quit. 12 v to solenoid, it clicks, fuel to injectors, fuel flowing thru pump back to tank, standyne injector pump 1987, tried a lil starting fluid to try to keep her running it does nothing...what am I missing...

/ 72 john deere 820 3 cyl #2  
The return line on top of the pump.. remove it..
If it has a checkball fitting on the top cover, remove it also..
with the line off and the connector off, go ahead and start it.. now piece by piece, reassemble it.. waiting for a 10 count before assembling the next piece..
Once u find the piece that shuts the motor down, clean it and repeat the test..
Good luck

/ 72 john deere 820 3 cyl
will do, but I pulled that line off and am getting fuel out of it going back to the tank. if something was going on in there wouldn't it effect the fuel flow..? thx, I am gonna try what you said as because I was getting flow I did not take the check valve apart.

/ 72 john deere 820 3 cyl #4  
Yes, take the fitting off the top cover.. if done correctly u will b looking into the hole in the cover ..
NOW, try to start it.. fuel IS GOING TO flow out so b prepared for that, if need be, put a pan underneath the machine..
Good luck

/ 72 john deere 820 3 cyl
Yes, take the fitting off the top cover.. if done correctly u will b looking into the hole in the cover ..
NOW, try to start it.. fuel IS GOING TO flow out so b prepared for that, if need be, put a pan underneath the machine..
Good luck
well I'll be darned...took the return line off there were 2 fittings connecting it to the ip, took them apart and could barely blow thru it, took a wire cleaned it out good reassembled, running like a top. I appreciate you very much for the help.

/ 72 john deere 820 3 cyl #6  
Your welcome..
If it keeps happening, the pump will have to come off for a rebuild..