7215R Running Hot

/ 7215R Running Hot #1  

Redonthehead

Tractor
Deere 5420 MFWD
Son has a problem with a 2011 7125R with 1550 hours I thought perhaps someone would have some insight on.

Tractor runs hot - over 180F - seems to burn a lot of fuel, and throws a couple codes:

ECU .001 1569.31 engine power limited
ECU .001 2795.07 turbocharger position actuator fault, engine power limited

Spent $1400 having the dealer put on a new turbo position actuator, and it did not fix the problem. Now they say it needs a new turbo ($3K+) (which comes with its own actuator - no credit for already having put on a new one)

The new turbo is on the way - I'm a bit concerned its money down a rat hole. Any input?

Thanks

/ 7215R Running Hot #2  
It is usually pretty simple to determine if the turbo or the actuator is causing the 2795.07 code. Just unhook the connecting link and see if turbo and actuator move freely. In my experience it is usually the actuator, but not always. Sometimes it is the link itself that binds. The turbo problem is causing the 1569.31 code as well. Are you getting any overheating codes? Since engine is not producing max power, I would think it shouldn't overheat. How warm is it getting to?

/ 7215R Running Hot
thanks for the input jd.

Son says "It gets to 210 to 220 under load. Only once did it get up to a temp that it threw a code (230?) Linkage was checked for binding and was loosened post new actuator being installed because of a potential binding issue but the problem persisted. And both appear to move freely."

/ 7215R Running Hot #4  
Probably OP already checked this but I found on my tractor the radiator and other coolers were clogged up with debris and dirt.

/ 7215R Running Hot
Yeah the radiators were cleaned first.

The new turbo system fixed it. said something about a "flat spot" preventing full range of "shift" or whatever. wished he would have asked to keep the old parts so I could see it. Said the linkage was a new design too.