8N Fan Belt replacement

/ 8N Fan Belt replacement #1  

CCarr1945

Tractor
1952 Ford 8N, Kubota 500
Fan belt was starting to squeal and thought I would replace it. There is not enough clearance to remove the old belt from the crank shaft.
No loader or any attachments on the front.
Appears to be a plate on the end of the crank shaft with four allen screws.
Does this plate remove with the four screws? Right or left hand threads?

/ 8N Fan Belt replacement #2  
I think you can loosen the generator, push it in toward the engine and get slack in the belt. Like you would on loosening the alternator on a car.

/ 8N Fan Belt replacement
I did that. Even removed the generator. Problem is there is not enough room to remove the old belt from the crank pulley or put a new one on if I cut the old one!

/ 8N Fan Belt replacement #4  
Is there another pulley on it running something else?

/ 8N Fan Belt replacement #5  
Have you tried turning the fan by hand and prying the belt up to get it to twist off the pulley?

/ 8N Fan Belt replacement
No other attachment. It is too narrow to pry the belt through. I'm still wondering about those four bolts and the plate on the pulley. I tried to loosen one with vice grips with no go. Did not want to break one.

/ 8N Fan Belt replacement #8  
I have an 8N and I think the plate on the front of the crank pulley you are talking about is an attachment mount for a front end loader pump. All the crank pulleys come with that mounted on there. It is sort of rectangular shaped. Won't do anything if you try to remove it. Sounds like someone put a belt that is too small on yours. It is supposed to have some adjustment when you move the generator/alternator in/out. If you go to Ford 9N, 2N, 8N Discussion Forum - Yesterday's Tractors It is a 2n/9n/8N forum and they can really help you with this problem. :thumbsup:

/ 8N Fan Belt replacement #9  
According to yesterday's tractor forum, here's some info about belt length.

The front distributor fan belt is 45" x 5/8". Side distributor takes a 41.5" X 5/8" belt.