8N generator rebuild question? Have apart on the bench now.

/ 8N generator rebuild question? Have apart on the bench now. #1  
Tractor
1947 Ford 8N
Howdy gang,
I have my 8N generator dissasembled and on the bench. I am rebuilding it because I wasn't getting any voltage out of it to recharge the system. Here is the report on the conditions of the parts. I would like your guys opinion on my diagnosis of the problem before I move forward.

Brushes are in perfect shape with hardly any wear compared to the new parts.

Comutator (sp?) is in perfect condition with no wear. I can still see the machining marks.

Bearing is a little noisy. I will be replacing this along with the bushing with new parts.

there seams to be an insulator board btween one of the brush housings and the case. This board apears to be intact along with the insulator on the outside of the case under the rivet head. The one thing which concerns me and what I think is causing the problem is... The wire attached to one of the magnets mounted on the inside of the case has bare insulation. This is the same wire which is attached to the brush which is suppose to be isolated from the case. Although I did not see it as I pulled it apart I am guessing this bare wire was touching the case thereby grounding out the whole system.

Given the good shape of all the rest of the components how likely is this the cause?

If this is the cause I have some shrink wrap tubing I can use to insulate this wire.

I am hoping to get this thing but back together tonight so please let me know what you guys think.

Best Regards,
Speedy:)

BTW I ended up breaking the darn cast iron pully. It appears to have been cracked for sometime though. Is this an off the shelf item I can by at a store like Farm and Fleet?

/ 8N generator rebuild question? Have apart on the bench now.
Thanks John,
I now remember why I didn't frequent that board too much. It is very hard to navigate compared to this format and everyother forum I post on.

Still looking for any suggestions from this talented group. :)

/ 8N generator rebuild question? Have apart on the bench now. #5  
I replied to your post at YT.

it's an a-circuit genny.. they are pretty sturdy buggers..

soundguy

speedracing944 said:
Howdy gang,
I have my 8N generator dissasembled and on the bench. I am rebuilding it because I wasn't getting any voltage out of it to recharge the system. Here is the report on the conditions of the parts. I would like your guys opinion on my diagnosis of the problem before I move forward.

Brushes are in perfect shape with hardly any wear compared to the new parts.

Comutator (sp?) is in perfect condition with no wear. I can still see the machining marks.

Bearing is a little noisy. I will be replacing this along with the bushing with new parts.

there seams to be an insulator board btween one of the brush housings and the case. This board apears to be intact along with the insulator on the outside of the case under the rivet head. The one thing which concerns me and what I think is causing the problem is... The wire attached to one of the magnets mounted on the inside of the case has bare insulation. This is the same wire which is attached to the brush which is suppose to be isolated from the case. Although I did not see it as I pulled it apart I am guessing this bare wire was touching the case thereby grounding out the whole system.

Given the good shape of all the rest of the components how likely is this the cause?

If this is the cause I have some shrink wrap tubing I can use to insulate this wire.

I am hoping to get this thing but back together tonight so please let me know what you guys think.

Best Regards,

BTW I ended up breaking the darn cast iron pully. It appears to have been cracked for sometime though. Is this an off the shelf item I can by at a store like Farm and Fleet?