8n Rust Repair

/ 8n Rust Repair #1  

1990F-150

Tractor
2023 LS MT240HE. JD S240. Honda Pioneer 520. Ford 8n. Ford 9n
Hi, I have some rust damage on the hood of my Ford 8n. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for repairing the damage. Worst case scenario I buy a hood off of a different 8n. Thanks
662B3887-618F-4C48-9380-2AA2C0485A51.png

/ 8n Rust Repair
Thanks for the quick reply. That seems like a good way to repair that damage.

/ 8n Rust Repair #4  
N tractor hoods all seen to rust out in that line of the hood due to the bracing holding crud and moisture with no real good way to clean it out. Pretty much there are only two ways to fix it right, cut out the rot and weld in replacement pieces it like in the pdf Ed linked to or replace the hood. The new replacements are no where near as heavy a metal so if you can R&R the OEM hood you will be better off.

/ 8n Rust Repair #5  
If you can find a donor hood, even a junker that still has some good sections along those ridges, you can cut out the good sections and weld them to the bad areas on your hood after you cut out the rusted sections. That will save some bodywork labor on your part. As John said, this is the area where you often find rust on the old N series Fords.

/ 8n Rust Repair
There are lots of 8n's on Facebook Marketplace near me, so I will be on the lookout for a hood that is not rusted out in that section. Thanks for the tips

/ 8n Rust Repair #7  
Hi, I have some rust damage on the hood of my Ford 8n. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for repairing the damage. Worst case scenario I buy a hood off of a different 8n. Thanks
View attachment 809459
I know this post is several months old, I have a '49 8N that is completely rusted through at the left front corner. I am in the process of restoring the tractor and bought new aftermarket hood,dog legs, and grille. Aftermarket hood dimensions are nowhere near OE. It will require cutting, grinding,drilling, and refitting to make it work. It is too wide where it fits the dash. The hood is too pointed in the front and won't set down on the radiator properly. Best solution is try to find a good used hood and they are not cheap or take to bodyshop and have fixed.