8N shifting gears.

/ 8N shifting gears. #1  

Southernspeed

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Furgeson 2850M
Is it ok to shift gears, like 1st to 3rd, when moving? Pulling away in 3rd when towing or carrying an implement seems a strain on the clutch (longevity wise)

/ 8N shifting gears. #2  
Most every one, including the owners manual will tell you DO NOT shift while moving.
They say the clutch is designed to be slipped and handle the abuse.

But I do know how you feel.

I have successfully shifted gears on my 3000's 8 speed while moving (trying to match everyone's speed in a parade) without grinding gears, but it takes timing, clutch and throttle control.

/ 8N shifting gears. #4  
Well, the owner's manual will tell you to NOT do it. But, you will always hear from folks who say they can and do do it. If you mess up, it could be an expensive mistake.

1691751767195.png

/ 8N shifting gears. #5  
If pulling a load I often start moving just a little in 1st and then pull it back into third. Mine seems to go easily without grinding. Not using a lot of throttle though, just enough to roll less than 10 ft I would estimate. It is a 73 yo tractor and I am 70 so we move at the same pace.

Bill

/ 8N shifting gears. #6  
As far as slipping the clutch I have had this tractor 25 years and only replaced the clutch while I had the tractor split about 20 years ago to replace the input shaft seal. A lot of back and forth plowing snow and doing my firewood every year and it seems like clutch is still in good shape.

Bill

/ 8N shifting gears. #7  
Can it be done, yes, should it be done, no. Have I done it, many times... Doing it you risk the chance of damaging the gears gears in the transmission, something the is WAY MORE expensive than a $200 clutch.

Bottom line, don't worry about it, a little slipping to take off is not going to harm the clutch, you'll be more likely to cause clutch problems if you ride the clutch, meaning letting you foot rest on the clutch pedal.

/ 8N shifting gears. #8  
I went through shifter problems. No Rev. when I bought it. Clutch/P.Plate and Shifter. Weak brakes with a a good bit of weight in the FEL.. I broke Rev. barely moving while shifting 1st. to 4th.. Heard it grind and went in all 4 forward but found out no Rev.. The brakes was pitiful so I didn't try to stop all the way with a load. I did it and know how. Had to cut a couple trees when I found out I was stuck!! Replaced them this time and I'll be stopped dead before shifting again! My ford Manual plainly notes " Do Not Shift Gears WHILE Tractor is in Motion" :rolleyes:

/ 8N shifting gears. #9  
1st to 3rd probably isn't a good idea. On the old tractors, we used to shift from 2nd to 3rd, or 3rd to 4th on the go with no problem. With a little care, it synchronizes. As long as the gears don't grind it never seemed to be a problem, but you needed to be able to have a feel for the speed required.

Downshifting always seemed hard on tractors even if you understand double clutching.