'90's CASE 480F Construction King Backhoe / Loader

/ '90's CASE 480F Construction King Backhoe / Loader #1  

ArchRec

Tractor
JD 2510, JD 3002, '53 Allis-Chalmers CA, '61 IH Cub
Hi Everyone. Thank you for approving my profile (this is my first post). DISCLAIMER - I lack formal "mechanic" related training. Thus, please be patient with me as I will likely be slow to grasp and/or explain/describe concepts, terminology, etc. Regardless, any guidance offered is much appreciated :)!

'90's CASE 480F Construction King Backhoe / Loader -

-Problem(s): Infrequently and momentarily, the component(s) that control directional movement of the 480F appear to either...

1) Fail to Engage - when shifting from forward to reverse, after unloading a bucket full of dirt on the dirt pile, the machine won't reverse out.
2) Disengage - when moving forward, on the way to the dirt pile - in an open field-, the machine will suddenly transition from powered movement to freewheeling (act as if it has popped out of gear).
3) Do The Opposite - As I understood it, my boss informed me that he recently experienced the machine moving in the opposite direction than what he had selected (Shifter was in the forward, backhoe went in reverse). FYI: I have not personally experienced this particular issue).

-Frequency: erratic at first, but as the machines operating temperature rises, so do the frequency of occurrences.

Additional Observations:
1) Shaking of the machine from use of it's bow appendage appears to resolve the issue when the machine fails to engage while shifting from forward to reverse.
2) Bumps appear to play a role in the machine disengaging when in forward movement.
3) I was informed, though, I have yet to confirm for myself that the "Free Wheel" Button (name?) -located on the front appendage control arm- was disconnected in the past due to damage.

Possible Solutions:
1) "Free Wheel" button may still be attached and malfunctioning?
2) A component(s) of the Shuttle Shift Assembly may be malfunctioning or worn out?
3) There could be some kind of Electrical related problem?
4) There could be a more complex issue with the transmission?

Thoughts?

Thank you :)

/ '90's CASE 480F Construction King Backhoe / Loader #2  
I have one of those too (1994) but haven't had that problem.

Haven't read the manual recently but if I recall correctly, the "free wheel button" you mentioned on the joystick is a clutch that disengages the engine from the drivetrain so that all the power is dedicated to the hydraulics for faster cycling. There is also a small metal button thru the floorboard near the foot feet that serves the same purpose- idea being to use the clutch that is more convenient at the time. You might want to look at both of them.

Then I would make sure the transmission's range selector is fully engaged. That's the 4 speed+neutral "shifter" on the floor. Mine is a little stiff sometimes.

/ '90's CASE 480F Construction King Backhoe / Loader
JMC - Thank you. I will check these out tomorrow.