Mowing 914A Rear Discharge - How is it with Leaves???

/ 914A Rear Discharge - How is it with Leaves??? #1  

MotoRudyX

Tractor
New Holland TC29D
How does a 72" rear discharge work with leaves? My side discharge is beyond reasonable repair and I found a rear discharge unit and my only concern is how it would handle leaves in the fall. With the side discharge, I could mow in one direction and blow all the leaves to the hedgerow. Can the rear discharge mulch them up enough or handle a good layer of leaves without clogging? Anyone do this with good or bad results?

/ 914A Rear Discharge - How is it with Leaves??? #2  
How does a 72" rear discharge work with leaves? My side discharge is beyond reasonable repair and I found a rear discharge unit and my only concern is how it would handle leaves in the fall. With the side discharge, I could mow in one direction and blow all the leaves to the hedgerow. Can the rear discharge mulch them up enough or handle a good layer of leaves without clogging? Anyone do this with good or bad results?

I have both side and rear. The side takes care of leaves and the rear will go through them without clogging but it leaves a trail of chopped leaves behind. I only use the side discharge for my fall leaves. I live in the woods so have lots of leaves to work with.

/ 914A Rear Discharge - How is it with Leaves??? #3  
If the 914A is a RD Ford mower, I had one. It will work well or not work well on leaves depending on the blades you have. With "low suction-low lift" blades it did not work well because it didn't pull up the leaves. On the plus side, I could run over the hose or the gravel drive without fear.

With the "high lift-high suction" blades, it chewed up dried leaves into little tiny pieces in one pass. Even better in a second pass. The hose was no longer safe and driveway gravel would get sucked up into the blades. But the leaves were gone. Leaves were evenly distributed. Get high lift blades and end of story.