961 Exhaust Question

/ 961 Exhaust Question #1  

koselig

Tractor
1958 Ford 961 FEL
Hi all!
I am working on only some minor tune-up on our 1958 961 since our workshop is not yet operational. As part of this, I bought a new muffler at Fleet Farm (a store in our area which has a good selection of tractor parts).

I was taking the old muffler off to prepare for this and to make it easier to replace the fuel line (I was also replacing the fuel shutoff valve). It sort of rusted itself apart, and I'm having trouble getting the last remnant of the original muffler off of the elbow:

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

Any thoughts? I applied PB Blaster and let it soak in a bit but it's pretty well fused to the elbow. Any thoughts?

The muffler I bought does have a 1-5/8" inside diameter so I am guessing that will work... if I can get the extra piece off of the elbow.

Next question- the pipe beyond the muffler had a bracket which bolted to the engine block (you can see the bolt holes on the left in the top picture). This bracket was welded to the exhaust pipe. is this pipe and bracket meant to bolt on there?

Cheers!
Patrick

/ 961 Exhaust Question
also - I thought about just getting a replacement elbow, but with my temporarily limited tools and shop still under construction, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get it disassembled well enough to get the back bolt/nut free. It seems difficult to get to.

/ 961 Exhaust Question
also - I considered just cutting that piece fused to the elbow with an angle grinder, or hitting it with a torch, but the old fuel shutoff valve had been leaking (like they do) so the valve cover has some gas on it...Maybe I should just "be careful" and go for it?

Last edited:
   / 961 Exhaust Question #4  
The muffler metal is pretty thin and the cast on elbow alot thicker so I would just run the angle grinder or sawsall horizontally until you hit the cast then with small chisel or screwdriver ap the metal off. Tap easy cause you can break the ast on the elbow
You might want to drain the gas out and maybe soak the engine down with some water before you grind. I have some plumbers mats, that plumbers use when heating pipes, that I would lay behind it so nothing catches fire. I suppose if you soak a towel with water and layed it behind the elbow to keep Sparks away it would work.
Bracket looks like a Y(if underslung exhaust) and bolt to gas tank mounting bracket. Muffler clamp bolt to the Y bracket.
Good luck with your project

/ 961 Exhaust Question
angle grinder did it! All set now. Here's what it looked like after I got it off of the elbow! I did manage to get it off without cutting into the elbow at all.

IMG_2496.jpg

/ 961 Exhaust Question #6  
that was gonna be my sugestion too, though sometimes an air hammer with a chissle bit walks them off or cuts them too, with less sparks.