970, low hydraulic pressure, powershift.

/ 970, low hydraulic pressure, powershift. #1  

petebert

Silver Member
Tractor
Decided a Case 970 I found would be worth a shot. PO wasn't using a sight glass, just a plug. Said he had done the hydraulic filters before but wasn't sure when. I was hoping a filter change and proper top off of the fluid would bring the pressure up, no such luck. It sits right at the border of yellow and green.

Installed a sight glass, did a complete fluid change with Hy-Tran. Removed the filters and found a bad sign, the valves weren't installed in the filters. This means the fluid has been running unfiltered this whole time. Found some valves for the filters and got them installed. Started it, let it idle for a few minutes so the filters could fill and topped off the fluid. No luck on getting the pressure up.

Here's all the issues the tractor has.

Brakes are almost non existent, very stiff pedals if that makes any difference.

PTO spins continuously, I haven't tried hooking anything up to it to see if it stops. You can't turn it by hand with the tractor off.

Everything shifts fine except, it won't go into powershift 3. Doesn't matter what range gear you're in. R, 1 and 2 work in every range. You slide the powershift lever all the way forward and it seems to stay in 2.

With nothing on the 3 point arms the arms don't always like to go down. You have to get out of the tractor and press down on them to get them going. Once you do this they move up and down just fine. I tried the test I've seen online where you leave the range in neutral then raise/lower the arms. In each powershift position. I didn't notice any speed difference. I've done this with nothing attached and a PTO tiller attached. I was hoping to test the PTO with the tiller but the shaft is cut for my other tractor and was too long.

My next plan of attack is to pull and thoroughly clean the valve body. Anything else I should look into, any other tests that can be done without pressure gauges?