A/C Leaking BAD

/ A/C Leaking BAD #1  

TexasDefender

Worked my tractor hard for the first time this weekend and the a/c started leaking down on me...not bad at first, then it was as if someone was throwing cups of muddy water on me :mad: It was so bad today I had to shut it off and work with the windows open, water still dripped out though...

I'm thinking the drain hose is clogged, I know where it is but didn't have a way to unclog it, going to take an air tank out next time to try and blow it back out.

What else might be causing this?

I know condensation is normal for a/c units but I don't like it when it's pouring down on me....

The tractor is a ford 7710

/ A/C Leaking BAD #2  
If it is indeed water condensate water, a clogged drain is the likely culprit. I would use air, like you suggested, to blow it in both directions.

It is also possible the evaporator tray that is collecting the condensate, is rusted or cracked, depending on what it is made of. Sometimes in this case, either a clever repair, or a fabrication can help avoid complete replacement.

/ A/C Leaking BAD
What does the evaporator tray look like, where might it be located? Thanks for your help.

/ A/C Leaking BAD #4  
Be really careful if you do use air to blow out the rain tube. You can easily damage the thin aluminum fins on the evaporator. Sometimes you can open the case and mop out the debris. Stuff like rotten leaves, dandelion fuzz, maple tree spinners. Or, I have trouble with mud wasps plugging up the tube.
Take a look at the case, usually you'll be able to tell how it slopes to help the water drain to a common point, then the tube will allow it to drain out. Might take a bit of climbing around, but your AC is working fine, just needs a minutes worth of TLC.

Good luck,
Keith in SC

/ A/C Leaking BAD #5  
TexasDefender said:
What does the evaporator tray look like, where might it be located? Thanks for your help.

I am not familiar with your unit. However, generally in this situation there is a tray that fits under the evaporator to catch the condensate. this can range from roughly the size of the evaporator coils, to the entire bottom pan of the a/c unit. One things for sure, the drain is hooked to it. Follow the drain up and see where it starts. then look for clogs, and leaks.

/ A/C Leaking BAD #6  
Just be very careful using compressed air on the drain. It's possible you could blow the drain hose off the tube/barb/nipple in the drain pan. Then thinking all is well, cause water to be running in very bad/sensitive places it shouldn't & creating more problems. I'd suggest the foot-long hobby type pipe cleaners. If you must use compressed air, regulate it down to only a couple PSI!!!!

I remember hearing about clogged drain tubes in sun roof & T-top cars being cleared with air & blowing the drain tube off causing extensive work to reattach (or damage if not reattached).

/ A/C Leaking BAD #7  
either a pipe cleaner or they have long fish tank pipe cleaners. kina like a 3' bottle brush. I would not use any force or compressed air.