A/C repair / compressor help

/ A/C repair / compressor help #1  

bcalhoun

Tractor
mahindra 7010
let me start by saying i know very little when it comes to A/C. i have a mahindra 7010 and the a/c works fine for about 30 minutes and then starts squealing. It continues to cool just fine but i just turn the a/c off because it sounds to me like the bearings are going out. I have no idea how to get oil to the bearings. My other option which will cost me $800 is to just replace the whole compressor. if i replace the compressor i will have to disconnect some hoses which will result in some lost freon and i have no idea what i'm doing when it comes to replacing freon levels. the last option is to send it to a dealer but i'm really trying to avoid that because i don't have a local dealer.
any advise would be greatly appreciated.

/ A/C repair / compressor help #2  
I suggest to check tension on AC comp drive belt. If AC drive belt has a tensioner then check brg in it.

/ A/C repair / compressor help
I suggest to check tension on AC comp drive belt. If AC drive belt has a tensioner then check brg in it.

ok thanks, if there is a tensioner can you get to those bearings to lube them?

/ A/C repair / compressor help #4  
Don't just start disconnecting hoses. Freon will be lost, big NO - NO. System should have Freon removed, as in pumped out and saved. After repairs system will be put in/under a vacuum. If vacuum holds, it means there are not any leaks and Freon can be reinstalled.

/ A/C repair / compressor help #5  
Yup, need to determine exactly where squeaking is coming from. If belts, snug up and check tensioner.

If an idler pulley bearing, lube that. Most of these I have seen are a sealed bearing and not lubeable, but you may be able to inject a bit of grease in it with a grease gun "hypodermic" needle to verify if it is the problem.

May be the compressor clutch. If you suspect it, make sure that no other fluid or lube is getting accidentally sprayed on it. Might try spraying down in the clutch plates with brake cleaner (not while running!) to see if that makes any difference and confirm that that is the source.

Finally, if it's actually the compressor bearings you probably have no choice but to open the system and replace/evacuate/recharge. You CAN buy pressurized cans of refrigerant oil that can be put into the system with a charging kit that might help if the system somehow got low on oil. But be sure that any replacement oil and refrigerant are compatible with what is already in there. There are several types of very different refrigerant oils/refrigerants!

It's also possible that the system pressure is way too high, causing the compressor to be extraordinarily hard to turn, causing belts to slip. You'll need a set of gauges to check this.

- Jay

/ A/C repair / compressor help #6  
G'day two things that are cheap and easy
1/ Fit a new belt and make sure it is tensioned correctly

2/ Fit a relay to the clutch wire to make sure you are getting good voltage to the clutch

My guess would be No 1 if you had a bearing failure you would hear it all the time the engine is running regardless of A/C on or off

Jon

/ A/C repair / compressor help #7  
I'd see if there are any journeymen AC guys who do on road repairs in your area. Since you have no prior experience, you may be best off spending some $ on diagnosis by someone qualified, and who has the gauges and other AC tools to do a proper service. Otherwise you're guessing at what is the cause of the problem. Without gauges and a vacuum pump, the correct compressor oil, and type of freon you might as well attempt brain surgery with pliers and a rusty saw.

/ A/C repair / compressor help #8  
Local JD, Case IH, or Ford New Holland dealer should have a service truck with a good A/C tech. Work with them and let them know you are not in a hurry and are willing to wait until they are in the area and you may be able to save on the drive time if they are already out your way.

/ A/C repair / compressor help #9  
Nine days and nothing back from the OP. Guess it's fixed!

- Jay