A tip for bleeding rotary CAV pump diesels

/ A tip for bleeding rotary CAV pump diesels #1  

rectifier

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deutz DX160, IH B-275, Z225 zero-turn
These are a fairly common pump, and I have always had a bad time bleeding mine according to the instructions. Today I did some work on the fuel system of the B275 and went through looking for where the air actually gets trapped.

The manual says that when bleeding the pump, bleed top/bottom/top/bottom and then flip the motor half a turn and repeat to scavenge the remaining air. Then move on to the injectors. This does not scavenge the remaining air.

After completing the bleed process where clear fuel runs from both bleed screws, turn the motor over several times with the upper bleed screw OPEN. I got massive amounts of air even though I got clear fuel when bleeding manually with primer lever. After it runs clear, close it and do the bottom screw the same way. I got small bubbles here as well. Then repeat until the pump is clear.

Once I did this the tractor started almost immediately. Without getting this last air out of the pump, it will have to leave via the injector lines when you have them cracked. This will take a lot of cranking.

/ A tip for bleeding rotary CAV pump diesels #2  
Makes sense. Fortunately I do not have problems bleeding my tractor after a fuel filter change.